View Single Post
Old 20th September, 2002, 12:58 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

3D Glasses do work - I have a pair of ELSA revelators, coupled with a GeForce 4 card. You need a CRT monitor that does AT LEAST 100Hz refresh rate, preferably 120Hz.

It also helps to have a darkened room, so the monitor surround isn't well lit. This is because your brain can get very confused when it sees that the image projected from the monitor is at a different depth to the monitor surround. This affects things coming out of the screen much more than things inside the screen! In addition, different people see in 3D differently, so there are a couple of settings you need to tune up in order to maximise the effect for your person. I have seen some images that I would class as unviewable for me (due to seperation), but looked fine to the person who originally set the system up.

nVidia's drivers support 3D glasses/3D monitor natively, so any program that supports OpenGL or Direct3D can drive the 3D glasses. As both OpenGL and Direct3D require a Z plane, the nVidia drivers can calculate the correct offset to use. This means that the 3D you see is actually based on what OpenGL or Direct3D are using. Hence the 3D is real.

nVidia's drivers work by calculating two different viewpoints, and switching scenes during the VSync. This means you MUST have VSync enabled. Benchmark your card with VSync enabled, and then halve the result. This gives an idea as to what resolution you can expect to run with 3D glasses or a 3D monitor. I have personally run 800x600 on a GF2MX without a problem.

As the VSync switching is timing sensitive, some device drivers are known to cause timing problems. IDE RAID drivers are known for causing problems!