View Single Post
Old 3rd October, 2002, 05:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
dumb question but wouldnt that pump look really nice infront of the "RFPSU" ??
Probably, but centrifugal pumps such as that one typically need to be at the lowest point in the system - this being due to their inability to "suck". Unless it's a perfectly closed system, the water entering the pump won't move fast enough to prevent cavitation/pressure loss without the assistance of some gravity.

That does look to be a perfectly closed system though... (no header tank AidanII? Not expecting the temperature to rise much?)

Quote:
However, this would require some way of controlling the flow of water into each circuit, and I've not seen anything small enough to look really good.
I believe you can get gate-valves that are set using a little gromet-screw and don't add much to the local pipe diameter. Whether your local plumbing shop has them is another matter. If money's no object then I'd strongly recommend Swagelok fittings. I used them all year in the lab, and they're excellent for all but the most stupidly extreme conditions. Starting at £7 per fitting, they bloody well ought to be

Quote:
This means a trip to the plumbing suppliers in order to pick up some 10mm copper tubing, and something to bend it with
If you can't find pipe-springs that small, then just plug one end of the tube with a rag, pack it with sand and bend it around your favourite vice/knee/local's head. You can get very accurate bends without much special equipment, and even less pipe-deformation than most mechanical benders (!)

Quote:
One of the things I'm considering is a pressure relief valve across the pump.
Since you're running a closed system and are going to move to solid tubing, consider also a system pressure relief valve that vents to a drainage point outside the case. That way your system isn't going to get a bath if your pump fails (there's a thread on this topic some months ago where a user's pump failed, then shattered under the pressure the water built up. Also toasted the CPU). Putting the relief point high in the system should allow water to be drawn past hot components on its way out giving them a few seconds respite - it should be trivial to arrange an instant power cut-out if water ventures through the relief tube as well