View Single Post
Old 3rd October, 2002, 06:18 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
That does look to be a perfectly closed system though... (no header tank AidanII? Not expecting the temperature to rise much?)
Nope, no header tank. Silicon tubing and a system operating below atmospheric instead should keep that in check. Of course, if the system hits a catastrophic temperature increase, then it's not going to help, but by then the system's toast anyhow. I'm just amazed at how elastic silicon tubing is!

Quote:

If you can't find pipe-springs that small, then just plug one end of the tube with a rag, pack it with sand and bend it around your favourite vice/knee/local's head. You can get very accurate bends without much special equipment, and even less pipe-deformation than most mechanical benders (!)
Now, that's a hint worth knowing. Any idea what the minimum radius would be for copper 10mm plumbing pipe?

Quote:
Since you're running a closed system and are going to move to solid tubing, consider also a system pressure relief valve that vents to a drainage point outside the case. That way your system isn't going to get a bath if your pump fails Putting the relief point high in the system should allow water to be drawn past hot components on its way out giving them a few seconds respite - it should be trivial to arrange an instant power cut-out if water ventures through the relief tube as well
The problem with the pressure relief valve is where to vent the water to. However, I'm having central heating replaced, so I'll nick the relief valve from that. I suspect that 4 bar might be a bit high though.

AidanII