View Single Post
Old 18th October, 2003, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
The non-optimised code doesn't necessarily run better. HT just allows another process access to those execution units that aren't being used.

HT does have an overhead, so if the code were to be better optimised, then HT would have less of an impact. I suspect this is why some programs demonstrate little performance increase, and perhaps a performance decrease. In the case of the decrease, the code is already heavily optimised for the processor, and HT can do nothing but get in the way.

Conversely, a huge speedup tends to indicate that the program's pretty badly optimised...

Of course, if you run Linux, you can change the level of optimisations. That's where distributions like Gentoo come in handy, as you can optimise the whole system!

Is it just me or does this sound like the whole idea with the "quantispeed architecture" on the Ahtlon XP`s the whole point with that is that they do more than 1 instruction per cycle? If so (and if I was intel advertising dept) id start calling chips with HT P4 5000+ etc