View Single Post
Old 22nd January, 2004, 04:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ricochet

Cooling issues, shocking temps!

Hey folks,

I've been seriously considering the health of this machine's cooling over the past few days.... before I go any further, i'll mention the specs.

nf7-s 2.0 in a xaser III full tower (all 7 case fans running)
tbred 2100+ @ 213x10 with a volcano 7+ (stock cpu voltage of 1.6v)

Considering the cpu's running stock volts, there's seven fans in the case moving plenty of air (and creating a decent amount of noise) ... and the 7+ is supposedly still a half decent cooler.. you'd expect my temps be relatively healthy (both ambient/cpu) ... however they report no less than 31c ambient / 51c cpu on even the coldest of days.... the cpu's definitely mounted correctly and i'm running the right amount of AS3 under there, i re-seated the cpu to be sure and this doesn't change the temp at all....

Oh, i'm running the 7+'s fan through the controller on the xaser3.. operating at it's lowest speed of 3,500rpms to keep noise minimal... but even if i crank it to the highest (most annoying) speed, temp only drops 3 to 4c max .....

Something surely isn't right here.... if i were to increase the cpu's stock volts even by .05v ... the temp sky rockets... i've no headroom for the obvious strong overclocking potential of this chip..

in saying all of this, even for a sub-standard air cooler... those temps are just plain "too high" yeah? ..... meaning that by telling me to simply invest in a better cooler bypasses the actual problem here, i SHOULD be down around the 43c idle mark.. not 51... particularly due to the size of this case and all the fans running in there... that 31c ambient temp seems too high for this configuration as well....

suggestions would be muchly appreciated... and IF it's all down to getting another cooler... whats the way to go? i hear the v12extreme is very good for the price (slk947u performance for a fraction of the price) .. at the end of the day, it would need to be significantly better than this 7+ though obviously... and many underestimate the 7+'s ability to cool.