View Single Post
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19th March, 2004, 09:46 PM
Gizmo's Avatar
Gizmo Gizmo is offline
Chief BBS Administrator
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Webb City, Mo
Posts: 16,178
Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Europe does use the CE mark as a safety designation, but some countries insist on their own safety marks as well. For example, Germany has the TUV mark (seems to me like Denmark has their own, also). Even if you have CE certification, you still have to test for TUV (which is actually slightly more stringent, so that makes sense). CE is more stringent than UL (or at least, used to be), which is slightly more stringent than CSA. So any company that plans on international market penetration will generally test to TUV, almost all of which is applicable to CE (I believe the dielectric withstand voltage is slightly higher with CE, but don't recall for sure). Once you have TUV and CE, UL and CSA are basically nothing more than paying the fee and submitting your CE certs.
Reply With Quote