View Single Post
Old 13th August, 2004, 03:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I thought that's what I said?
No, you're trying to claim that ice is more dense, which is quite simply wrong. You're using an incorrect analogy of a battleship to try to prop up your fundamental mistake.

You are confusing buoyancy with density. You are assuming that ice floats because its shape lends it buoyancy. There you are wrong. Ice floats because it is less dense than water: consider that ice will float regardless of the shape or size in which it is formed. Ice spheres (the shape with the greatest mass/surface area ratio) will float just as well as ice battleships will. Its density lends it buoyancy, not its shape!

Steel, on the other hand, which is clearly more dense than water. Steel spheres will always sink. The only way you can get steel to float is to roll it out into a shape such that its displacement exceeds its mass, as you did correctly state.

I used the example of a kilo of ice to demonstrate that even with a substantial quantity of ice, the effect on the average system would be so small as to be pointless. Therefore using a block or two of ice would be totally ineffective.

Last edited by Kaitain; 13th August, 2004 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Whoops, slight error