View Single Post
Old 11th September, 2004, 07:18 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Oh Man I hate to say this when you have over 400 post but here it comes:

GO PUT AN ADD IN THE WANTED SECTION OF THE CLASSIFIEDS!

sorry for yelling.

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independant Disk. There are several diferent modes to a RAID set up. IIRC there is RAID0 where you have 2 disk that must be the same speed, the controller writes half of the information to one disk and half to the other. If you use two 40GB disk total storage space will equal 80GB. Then you have RAID1 which requires 2 disk of the same size, it will write all the information to both disk which give an automatic back up. If you use two 40GB disk total storage will be 40GB. Then there is RAID0+1 which requires 4 disk of the same size and speed, it write half the info to 2 disk and the other half to the other 2. It give you the speed increase of RAID0 with the redundancy of RAID0 and it's only draw back is that you need 4 drives almost identicle and a PSU able to handle 4 drives spinning up at once. Finnally there is RAID5 which allows you to use any number of 1 to 4 disk as 1 large HDD. I am not sure what the bennifit of this is other than convienence of only having a C drive. Also there is a mode that will let you use the ports as standard IDE ports but I don't remember what it is called. I am sure Adean will come behind me and correct me or point out what I missed (man that guy knows his stuff).

All RAID controllers are like IDE controllers as in they will support a certain speed and or type of drive. RAID 100 contollers can use ATA100 disk or can use ATA133 disk but will only run them at ATA100. A RAID 133 controller can use ATA100 drives but will only run them at ATA100 or it can use ATA133 and run them at ATA133. SATA150 RAID controllers are for SATA drive.

Hope this helps.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.