View Single Post
Old 11th September, 2004, 09:21 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeVeRmiNd
Lol, I'm gonna have to read these posts over like 5 times....lol. But can I use RAID with my two 40 GB hard drives? What RAID would I use to write to both disks (split up data not backup) and have a total of 80 GB space? Can I do this with my HArd Drive and RObbie wanna trade the RAID card?
Most of the RAID levels will be unavailable to you in a simple PCI card. The higher levels tend to be for enterprise systems for mission critical data that can't suffer any downtime. Most basic RAID cards will offer RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10 (basically RAID 1 and RAID 0 combined), and JBOD.

For what you want to do, here are your options:

1) Just use the disks seperately. You will have two drives, each with a max partition size of 40GB for a total of 80GB.

2) Set up a striping, RAID 0, array. This will give you a max partition size of 80GB. It will also (depending on the controller) greatly improve HD performance, sustained transfers could be up to twice as fast. There will be a small hit to your CPU, but it's mostly negligible. The major concern is that you are now twice as likely to have disk failure, and the data will be virtually unrecoverable in the event of failure.

3) Setup a JBOD (Just a bunch of disks) array. This will also give you a max partition size of 80GB. This is basically the opposite of partitioning. Instead of creating multiple logical drives out of one HD, you're creating a single logical drive out of many. There is no performance gain over using two disks in a non-array. The risk of failure is also twice as great as in RAID 0. Data recovery however, is much easier than with a striped array.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......