View Single Post
Old 11th October, 2004, 12:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Seems to me like it is a smart move, if the 64-bit strategy is really the future (I think it is).

Consider:
1) AMD currently has Socket A, Socket 754, and Socket 939 for the desktop market. IMHO, this is about two sockets too many, but considering that Socket 754 and Socket A are both covering the budget segment, there DEFINITELY is no justification for at least one of them. It makes costs higher for mobo vendors who have to support the various form factors.
2) Semprons are available as both Socket A and Socket 754. We already know that Semprons are lobotomized Athlon-64 chips. This means that there is a lot of silicon on the socket A Sempron that is not being used (specifically the 64-bit stuff, but more to the point, the memory interface controller). So, AMD is spending money on silicon that it has to disable (I doubt very many chips are so badly messed up that BOTH memory controllers are trash). Then, chipset vendors have to spend money on silicon to provide the functionality that has been disabled in the Sempron. This drives up costs all the way around, for no benefit to ANYONE.