View Single Post
Old 11th October, 2004, 02:22 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Do you think that this means Longhorn will be released shortly?
How about the socketA to continue, but labeled as sempron? This would be a bold move in the industry...high-end:64-bit/pci-e, low-end:32bit/pci-agp? What does this mean for the software industry?
For the software industry as a whole, I don't see that it makes a lot of difference. People that need 64-bit capability will write software for it, and the rest of us will continue writing to the lowest practical platform. For most of us, that means Pentium Pro architecture. For the bottom-feeders (the people who specialize in writing the $5 software packs) that means 486s. I don't think that will change much. At most, it means that people writing for 486s as their low end will be able to write for Pentiums, which makes little practical difference.

As I indicated above, I really don't see Sempron surviving as a socket a product for more than a short period of time (MAYBE another year) and only as a transitional product. If AMD's manufacturing process is so crappy that they can justify selling a socket a Sempron in order to improve their yields, then they've got serious problems. More likely, they have to actually castrate the memory controllers on some Semprons to turn them into socket a chips. That represents a net loss for AMD, because they can get more money for socket 754 chips than they can for socket a. It represents a net loss for mobo manufactures, because they have to support two budget form factors. Worst case, they actually end up splitting their market evenly between the two forms, which results in higher costs for both platforms than if only one dominated (economies of scale).

'Course, this is all guesswork on my part, and I COULD be wrong.