Thread: iPod Photo
View Single Post
Old 30th October, 2004, 08:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

I too think it's a little odd to just put just photo support on the ipod, but I have a little bit of feedback on the Arcos. Keep in mind that the model that I'm referring to is a year and a half old; they may be much better by now.

My friend had an Arcos a year or two back. It seemed great at first look with video and audio. However, there were a few key fallbacks of the thing. The first thing you noticed about it was that it was heavy. If you're interested in just dropping it into any pants pocket you can find and walking around town all day with it (like I do with my iPod) the Arcos isn't for you. I imagine that the new ones are lighter, but the screen size would still make them quite large for a pocket. Second, the things took forever to even start up (25-30 seconds, if I remember correctly.) The Arcos was also slow to respond to commands, taking a while to bring up any queued video and making it hard to just browse a person's library. Lastly, the Arcos only had a ~2 hour battery life. I see that this has improved, but the 4 hour life of the new ones still needs to be improved.

My conclusion is this: the Arcos and iPod are ideal for two different types of people. Frequent pedestrians (ex. college students) love the iPod because it's small, light and at present the battery lasts enough for a full day of music. People who see video as the critical part of their machine should pick the Arcos as long as they don't mind sacrificing a little bit of portability.

Recommendation: I don't know what your wants are in a machine, but (if you haven't already) try the Arcos before you buy one.