View Single Post
Old 24th April, 2005, 03:15 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

those sticks should be tccc. they aren't very fantastic performers, until you give them 3.1v, and then they need a big big fan blowing on them so they don't melt.

you should have a menu there that says advanced options, and then a page to set up your memory correctly. From what i saw of the pictures of your bios, you are slightly overclocked, and the ram itself should be @187mhz or thereabouts. It's that that is probably keeping your system stable, as that set of ram that i have are very poor performers over 200mhz.

The best thing for you to do at this point is sit down with your manual, and read up on the bios settings, and what you can change. If you are planning on some overclocking, getting familiar with those options can only do you some good.

That being said, LDT, mem speed(or divider), mem timings, HTT(FSB) and multiplier are about the only things you need change, beside voltages, of course. UP the HTT a few mhz at a time, and test for stability. When stability is gone, up voltages to see if it helps...sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

Lowering the values for all of the things i mentioned, besides memory timings, will help you determine what need more juice, or a different setting, if you keep one of them at default or higher. You really need to isolate everything, and then find an easy "middle ground" for all of those settings' possible maximums, as sometimes raising one will affect another.

A64 overclocking is easy with winchester, which you probably have, however, if you have a newcastle, don't expect too much unless you go to watercooling, or better. winchesters should avg about 2500mhz on air, newcastles 2600 on "big-boxed" water kits, and clawhammers 2700-2800. keep in mind that those are averages, and only the raw mhz of the cpu...playing with the LDT and HTT speeds affect how high you can go in mhz differently with each cpu...and not much else really plays a factor, besides the obvious enemy, heat.