View Single Post
Old 30th June, 2005, 02:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hoinar

Hi louedwards,

If I'd be in this situation..I wouldn't bother with a Bios update unless you have problems with the Bios recognizing your CPU.

In a few words: Raid 0 -> stripping, Raid 1 -> mirroring.

In other words: Raid 0 means you use those 2 hdds as one big hdd with a greater speed than an usual hdd. When you write data on the hdd the raid controller splits the data in half, sending one part on a hdd and the other part on the second hdd. The same if for reading. That is why the time you wait is allmost half than writing on a single hdd. A raid 0 setup is the fastest option you can have...but...there is a big BUT if one of the hdds fail...you loose all the data from both hdds, because if one hdd fails, the raid 0 setup will be unusable.
Raid 1: everything you write on a hdd will be written also on the second one for backup purposes (the second hdd is a mirror for the first one). This setup has the same speed at writing as a single hdd and usually, will be faster at reading data, because the controller will read from both hdds. This setup is more reliable when you have important data that you don't want to loose. If one hdd fails it can be replaced and the Raid 1 setup will work without problems.

Information about configuring a Raid you'll find in the Bios manual and after that you'll be able to install an OS without a problem.

Good luck