View Single Post
Old 3rd July, 2005, 09:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Overclocking CPU: Go to BIOS. Athlon 64's have locked multipliers. And a HTT of 200mhz. The 3500+ has a multiplier of 11 and a clock speed of 2200mhz. This is achieved by multiplier*HTT. 11*200=2200mhz.

NOTE: Your RAM should allow for a great deal of overclocking. To start with increase the HTT in increments of 10mhz. Reboot run stability. Prime95 is favoured, but I dont like it, I prefer SuperPI. You can get both from www.aoafiles.com .

When there is instability in these tests, in BIOS increase the vCore (CPU voltage) to about 1.6v. And see if this improves stability. If not, try increasing the vDimm (RAM voltage) by the smallest ammount. If this doesnt work, lower the vDimm to stock again, and loosen the timings from 2-2-2-5 to 2.5-3-3-6. If this also fails, reset the timings, to 2-2-2-5, and set the RAM divider to 166mhz. (THIS IS SHOULDNT BE NEEDED ON HIGH QUALITY RAM!) If all this fails, reset RAM divider to 200mhz (stock) and lower the HTT by 5mhz increments until stability is restored.

Winchester's should reach 2.6ghz+ on air, with cool/mild room temperatures.

Overclocking GPU: A HIGHER CORE CLOCK IS BETTER THAN A HIGH MEMORY CLOCK. Get ATi Tool. And click "Find max core" when it finds it, (it may take a while), write it down somewhere, then put it back to stock, and repeat with "Find max memory". Once found put both max core and max memory clocks on by moving the sliders and click set clock. If it artefacts, reload the default speeds, and reboot computer. Repeat the process of GPU overclocking EXCEPT when setting the mem clock, set it 15mhz lower than the max. If this is stable, increase by 5mhz. Until artefacts occur. When max clock is found, save the profile. Set it to start your overclocked profile upon booting. And your done.

Further GPU tweaking can be done by lowering the memory latencies of the RAM which are all found under the "Memory" button. Lower latencies by one at a time. Because if you go even 1 latency lower on the wrong setting causes MASSIVE artifacts and could potentially turn your high-end graphics card into a $900 paper-weight.

Although I did, I dont recommend overclocking on a stock cooler. Thermaltake air coolers, or water coolers are best for overclocking unles you wish to buy a $1200 VapourChill case.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64