View Single Post
Old 19th July, 2005, 09:05 PM

Unhappy "Multiple IRP request" BSOD error when trying to run video files

Hello, this is my first post on this here forum and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem I've been having. There are some real experts on this forumand I'm sure they have the expertise to help me with this.

I have experienced some strange errors for some time now, although (this may be of some use) only since I got myself an Inno3D GeForce 6800GT 256MB DDR3 AGP card (my previous one being a Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB).

They have occured both prior to and following a complete Windows XP SP2 reformat, although the BSOD's only began after the reformat.

Seemingly at random, when trying to run video files (using any of my media playing programs, WMP, DivX, Media Player Classic) the whole screen becomes massively blocky (looking like a resolution of 320x240) and only displays the upper left quarter of the desktop. Any open windows become translucent and have a duplicate image below and to the right by a few inches, the mouse lagging accordingly (I'll put up a screenshot as soon as possible). What is causing this? Occasionally performing an operation such as closing a window will revert the desktop to normal and normal running can resume.

I initially thought this was due to a codec conflict, between DivX and an XviD codec pack I have (where disabling the XviD codec packs ability to decode DivX files caused the error to occur every time browsed to a folder with videos in it) up until I tried putting the machine on standby to try and resume normal running (this worked prior to the reformat). This is when I recieved the BSOD error massage, which happens every time I try to do this. I have been told that although this message refers to driver problems that it is hardware related. Is this true? Perhaps a fault of overheating (the graphics card thermometer displays a temperature of roughly 63c)?

Any advice that could be offered to help solve this problem would be greatly appreciated, as I have little experience in this area of problems. Sorry if the information is vague, but I can garner any more if necessary. To help further, here is the basic hardware/software setup of my computer:

Athlon XP 3200+ at stock speed (2200MHz
MSI K7N2 nForce2 mobo (integrated sound, no on-board graphics)/w nForce driver verison 5.10
768Mb DDR RAM (512 PC3200, 256 PC2700)
Inno3D GeForce 6800GT 256Mb DDR3 AGP (Forceware 77.72)
Windows XP SP2

Thanks to anyone who would take the time to help me. Oh, and "Electric Wizard" refers to the group, not my ability with electronics.

[Edit]I have tried multiple Forceware versions to no avail.

Last edited by Electric Wizard; 19th July, 2005 at 11:10 PM.