View Single Post
Old 18th August, 2005, 06:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Remove any hardware that you don't have to have to get the system up and running. That means the sound card and the hard drive for sure. If you've got a cheezy video card that you know works that you can stick in there, I'd put it in as well.

First thing to do, I think, is to run memtest86 in torture test mode and make certain that you don't have any memory problems. Takes about a day to complete. You can run it from a boot floppy or a CD; we've got both versions in AOAFiles floppy here, CD here.

The next thing I'd do is build a DOS boot floppy and run BurnK7 in DOS mode. It is part of the CPUBurn utilities, which you can get here. Run it for a couple of hours. You'll have to hit Ctrl-C to exit the app; if you have to press reset or otherwise initiate a reboot, your CPU is unstable.

If you pass both of those, the next thing would be a diagnostic app for the drive, which you should be able to get from Maxtor.

If all of those things pass, install Windows, get a stable system, and gradually start installing hardware until you figure out what is tripping you up.