View Single Post
Old 11th September, 2005, 02:30 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

6.8GHz nowhere near the frequency of light. Move up a few orders of magnatude and you'll be getting towards light. After all, it is in the THz range!

As far as quantum computers go, they're up to 7 qubits. To be able to represent a single register on IA32 (Intel architecture) would require the use of 16 qubits (I think?), and would make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Quantum computing is so radically different from any other processing that it would be hugely complex and slow to emulate a standard CPU using quantum computing. Likewise, you can't really emulate quantum computing using a standard CPU. The power of quantum computing is such that if someone sucessfully builds a system of any decent size, most of the world's ciphers will become redundant; quantum computing just decimates encryption as it can consider all possible solutions simultanously, unlike standard processors that can only examine a single possible solution at a time.

Of course, the fact that your qubits are only stable for milliseconds makes it a little difficult to solve many problems with current quantum computer. The other issue is external interference from anything with mass rapidly causes the state of the qubits to degrade.