View Single Post
Old 22nd February, 2002, 01:42 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A blanket prescription for case cooling doesn't exist, because cases and their interior geography are often a little, or a lot different. My Duron box runs at stock -yet AMD setups run hot, even when not OC'd. Personally, 100 cfm flowing through my Duron's case every minute is the right amount. Can this be done quietly? Naturally. But I chose the less expensive, less tedious but noisier route.

The key to moving a good deal of air quietly is large fans, with blades that spin slowly. If you are equipped with a reasonable assortment of tools, cutting twice as many holes for fans isn't too much of a bother. If your collection is skimpy, each hole for a 120 mm fan can be a five hour job of work.

As a rule, 80mm fans belong on heatsinks. They're simply too wimpy to make cutting mounting holes for them worthwhile. If utilizing the usual generous 2 80mm fan mounts that most mid cases come with makes sense, at least cut away the annoyingly cute patterns of holes that block good air flow. This must be done with an empty case, as chunks of steel rattling around the interior isn't good policy. But it's the steel dust that'll murder your setup.

Think 120mm intake fans. Two 69 cfm ones are far more quiet than one 108 or 138 cfm fan. 120 mm exhaust fans can be more difficult to install. A passel of low volume 92mm's may be easier to find cutting room for.

If noise isn't a consideration, one 108 cfm or 138 cfm 120mm installed into the left hand case cover(whether you keep the original lower front 80mm is up to you)is relatively easy. Give great care to figuring out the exact spot to install it. Measure twice(four times for me)and cut once. The fans are thick--they need to clear the ISA/PCI/AGP cards in the back, and the drive cages in the front. If applicable, a duct for the CPU must be thought out, too.

If the blockage is removed from the upper rear fan mount and the PS has a serious fan, you won't need to cut a hole for a monster fan--probably in the top of the case. Using a Delta 80cfm 80mm, or the 68cfm model in the rear fan mount will remove the necessity for a blowhole, anyway. Nonetheless, sometimes the addition of a weenie blowhole in the top can make for a dramatic reduction in CPU temp.

Have a look at the case gallery here. www.overclockers.com.au sports a fantastic case gallery. Look before you cut. In the meantime, I suggest removing the left cover of your case. As long as you don't have children or cats with too much curiousity.

Last edited by cloasters; 24th February, 2002 at 11:16 PM.