View Single Post
Old 7th August, 2006, 09:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Sorry radcon56, the information the Windows installs checks for activation is never in the bios.

The activation is similar to the cd key, but is dependent on the install ID, date, time, and hardware config, this is generated by MS at the time of activation, and dependent on the information sent by your computer, and the activation code will only work once, even if the install ID was possibly the same.

Some OEM's have a partition which have the activated files on a hidden partition and have configured the install to point to them.

Dell, Compaq/HP, and another large OEM (I forget the name now) have used VLK software as their 'OEM' software. VLK software doesn't require activation. If you ever need a new CD key for one of those 'OEM' disks, when you ring MS, the type of key most likely to work on those disks is the VLK, where the OEM and retail keys will fail. This again is something I have had to deal with when working for MS.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H

Last edited by noob; 7th August, 2006 at 09:42 PM.