Thread: Psu
View Single Post
Old 4th September, 2006, 04:37 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongwolf
Is there any software that I can use to test a PSU?
No, there isn't really.

The only way to get any sort of information about a PSU with any degree of accuracy is to probe individual rails with a properly calibrated multimeter.

And it should be noted, that in order to get reasonably accurate results, you need to have that PSU under the maximum load you ever have on it. Rubbish PSUs will happily behave themselves off load, and fall apart when the current starts flowing heavily.

There are some common sense things in this though. If you want to once-over a PSU, check that all fans are spinning, and unobstructed. Check that the internals are not caked with dust and crud, and most of all, use your nose. If a PSU is bad, you can usually smell it well before it goes bad.

You'll know the smell I mean when it hits your nostrils. It smells like impending expensiveness.

Humming, hissing, crackling, are all indicators as well. As are sparks. You can tell a great deal with your senses that a multimeter or software can never tell you.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 4th September, 2006 at 04:39 AM.