View Single Post
Old 5th January, 2007, 01:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

CD and DVD toothpaste scratch removal

Anybody tried this?

Basic idea is that you use generic white toothpaste (I used Colgate), rub it onto a scratched disk using straight stokes from the center to the outside of the disk. Rub it on good, let it set for just a couple of minutes, then wipe it off using the same motion.

I thought this was a bunch of hokum, but I had a UMD for my PSP that was badly scratched. I opened that caddy, used this method to repair it, put it back into the caddy, popped it back into the PSP.

This disk was UTTERLY unreadable (the move Reign of Fire) from about 5 minutes in and on with the exception of just a few 2 minute or so segments here and there.

Now it plays flawlessly.

I have to admit, I was completely floored, and only tried it because I was desperate. But it sure works. It doesn't seem to actually remove the scratches (they are all still visible) but whatever it does do makes the player quite happy.

Last edited by Gizmo; 5th January, 2007 at 01:49 AM.