Thread: CPU comparison
View Single Post
Old 3rd June, 2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richvanrooyen View Post
Yikees... A 400 watt power supply??? Do you have some hampsters stuck to that thing?

I would recommend anything under a 500-600 watt... There isn't much room there and if you start adding USB devices, the watts add up. Put that all under strain and get a power problem... BANG. You machine has been perforated... (I speak from experience).

There are quite a few power calculators out there on the web that should give you can idea what you need, but I would recommend getting the higher wattage capacity rather than skimping there...

The higher watt power supply doesn't equate to high consumption... It is related to total capacity.
Sorry, I should have been a little bit clearer. that was just rough because I haven't done the the power calculateing yet. I won't do that untill everything is solid and I'm about to order stuff.

But, I've learned that size isn't the end all- be all, that is usually discussed. I did a lot of looking when I built this system ( and, for me, price is allways a big factor. I just don't have the money.)
This system has been running just fine for over 5yrs without a hiccup- on a PowerMax 350w PSU. It's got everthing but the microwave hooked to it. 4 USB full time and sometimes 1 or 2 more. I looked hard to get a quality PSU for the least cost.
Anyway, I haven't done that research yet, but nothing has bothered this 350w and I expect that a quality 400w or 450w will do just fine.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD