View Single Post
Old 12th September, 2008, 06:13 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
Now, I'm not sure you are correct about the CPU client having no effect on the PPD of the GPU.
It certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. But I can't find anyone else on the forum with the issue, and I can't reproduce the problem on any of my 4 GPUs. This guy observes quite the opposite, in fact: Folding Forum • View topic - new public NV projects 5508-5513, 5017-5022

Quote:
I shut down the CPU client. I also increased shaders. that was a mistake-confuses the issue. PPD that had dropped 1k went back up 1k.
Yes , an extra variable can obscure the truth. What WU was this?

Quote:
... it finish the 5506 and started a 5022 and the CPU started as well. the PPD for the GPU again dropped 1k.
I don't understand. Are you saying that the CPU client started by itself?

Also, be careful of comparing apples to oranges. 5506=old=fast. 5022=new=slow. It would seem perfectly natural to me that a 5022 would run much slower than a 5506.What makes you believe that the CPU client caused the slowdown? What I'm hearing you say is this:
1. You were running a 5506 with no CPU client running, and it ran OK, with normal frame times.
2. The client snagged a 5022 and began running it, and somehow the CPU client started at the same time.
3. The frame times dropped dramatically. The question is, was it because of the new WU or the CPU client running?

Again, I'll say that I have not been able to reproduce the alleged behavior - with the core affinities set to place the GPU client on its own core, and the CPU client running, the GPU runs at exactly the same rate as it does with the CPU client shut down.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com