View Single Post
Old 16th February, 2009, 05:56 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

I'd go along with what Aedan says. I would suspect the memory in that board. I have run two of then for a long time now (#3-4 in my signature) and I can tell you they are VERY TOUCHY when it comes to memory. When I say I'd suspect the memory, I don't necessarily mean that the memory is bad; it's just that the A8N doesn't agree with it.

Best way to troubleshoot that board is the barebones setup; everything at defaults in the BIOS and one stick of memory in the first slot. Do the BIOS clear-remove the CMOS batt-power down-pray to the mobo gods thing. It likes when you do that.

volsnap is some kind of shadow volume driver and although I'm sure someone else can tell you a lot more than I can, it is probably related to hardware and not software.

There was a 200+page thread at Hardware Analysis Forums when the A8N was really trendy- if you have the patience you could find some useful info there. Also, you might try my friends at ASUS Independent Forums - if you are lucky you can get a guy with the handle Merc. He's just about the best around on that particular board, and was heavily involved in the legendary Hardware Analysis thread:
ASUS INDEPENDENT -- Troubleshooting, Setup, and Overclocking Help For ASUS Motherboard Users (for the ASUS INDEPENDENT FORUM)
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe FAQ (for the A8N-SLI Deluxe FAQ thread on Hardware Analysis)

Even if you don't find what you are looking for, that thread is the recognized authority for running this board. It was and is a great mainboard but is famous for being very bitchy with certain hardware variations, especially memory.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 16th February, 2009 at 06:00 PM.