View Single Post
Old 11th July, 2009, 06:24 AM

I haven't overclocked an AMD CPU in a year or so but I'll give you what I know..

I always start with overclocking the CPU first. With an on-die memory controller the memory is in direct contact with the CPU so HTT speed isn't much of an issue. (No northbridge in the middle to slow things up) You may run into a situation where it will be stable on one multi but won't go to the next and be stable, that is where overclocking the HTT comes in. There really isn't a FSB on a CPU with an on-die memory controller so it actually doesn't do what you think it does..

CPU vdd is voltage applied to the Mosfets, how far you will have to push this I am uncertain, raising it will also raise CPU voltage which tells me that these would be your primary adjustments when overclocking.

Some are self explanatory and the others I am not sure of what affect they will have if any on an overclock.

Some things to look for when testing. If it fails right away in prime95 then it usually CPU stability, if it fails on short ffts I will usually look at CPU as well, long ffts or a blue screen failure I look at memory voltage or timings.

Go in small steps on the voltage, push the CPU forward until it is unstable, then give it enough voltage to get stable and push again.

You will also have to find what your system likes from your memory. Some rigs respond to tighter timings at a little bit lower speed, some respond to high speeds with the timings a little loose..

Last edited by ccperf721p; 11th July, 2009 at 06:24 AM.