View Single Post
Old 13th November, 2009, 12:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Where a reasonable amount of effort can yield additional benefits, why not? Many times, the extra effort can yield benefits far beyond what was originally sought.

Case in point:
A couple years ago, I was in charge of the choir at church. We had one parishoner who was blind but wanted to sing with the choir. Obviously, being blind meant that he couldn't read music, and we didn't have anything available in Braille (truth be told, I don't even know if there IS such a thing, though I would guess there has to be SOMETHING for blind vocalists).

Anyway, even though it was a hassle for me, this guy really wanted to sing with the choir so I found a way: I sat down with our accompanist and recorded a CD for him with the music that we were working on (strictly speaking, this was a violation of copyright laws, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion), with her playing and me singing the parts.

What we discovered, because of my efforts to accommodate that one blind man, was that I had inadvertently created a very useful practice tool for our OTHER choir members as well. They were able to learn their parts much more quickly, and we spent less time at choir practice working on individual parts and more time working on making the choir sound good.

My point is that it is not unusual to discover that the things we do to help the least of us are also of benefit to the rest of us. We just have to be willing to try. And I'll be the first to admit that I frequently don't do as good a job at this as I should.

Last edited by Gizmo; 13th November, 2009 at 12:34 AM.