Thread: HP Pavilion dv5
View Single Post
Old 13th March, 2010, 03:44 AM

possible solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by booman View Post
Welcome to AOA forums!
Thank you for your information about the same situation.
Please let us know what the Tech says once he figures it out.
I'm curious what it could be.... since you practicly replaced everything
I found a solution from a user on the HP forums. I didnt try it yet since i dont have it in my possession but i sent it to the laptop tech just as kind of a pointer. he's never seen this problem before so i figured he would appreciate the tips.

This particular HP user states that the following procedure (tested multiple times) FIXES the problem: (quoted below)

"First I take out all the ram and then turn it on. (of course it will not work)
Turn it off.
Then take out the processor and turn it on. (careful)
Turn off.
Put the processor back in and turn it on.(still no work)
Turn off.
Put the ram back in and turn on."

He (the HP forum user) claims this works, but i find it hard to believe that it would, simply with a special sequence of HW changes. but like they say, Extreme situations call for extreme measures. This is most certainly an extreme situation. Nobody would have thought that this would work, but maybe it does who knows.
LINK: h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/dv5-1002nr-fix-for-black-screen-and-2-blinking-lights/m-p/213318
I sent that guy's suggestion to the tech rep at the laptop repair shop. He told me that he has another laptop to repair just like mine (DV7 instead of DV5, but still same series) that has the same issue. His reply is quoted below:

"Hi Corey - thanks for your email!

It turns out that swapping the CPU for the DV7 we were working on for another customer actually did the trick.

I will go back through the diagnostic procedures for your DV5 and see if I can tell you anything new. Will try the method in that link, though if it entails ripping the laptop open every time it decides to fail, it may become quite tiresome for you.

I will let you know what happens! Thanks!"

What he is saying is he took MY processor and placed it in another customers DV7 and it fixed the blink issue. This puts another whole twist on the problem. the CPU is clearly not the issue, yet HP says it is.

Also for kicks, refer to this article from HP about blink codes. According to them the CPU is bad. Clearly not, in my case.
LINK: h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&tmp_task=solveCategory& lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3795326

That is all the info i have for you so far. will keep you posted on anything new.