View Single Post
Old 27th May, 2010, 05:06 PM

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T stock fan or not

I don't have much experience with overclocking, other than with my Q6700 on an Intel D975XBX2 mobo, which I took to 3 Ghz with the stock fan that comes in Intel CPU retail boxes, and it was hitting close to 80C, which I didn't know if it was too hot or not, but when I posted about it in a forum they told me it was and that it would be better to go back to stock speed until I can get a good CPU cooler.

But now I'm planning on getting the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz on a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 mobo, and in all the reviews I've read for this processor it says that it can easily be taken up to 4 Ghz.

So my question is, if anybody here has the same CPU and has overclocked to 4 Ghz, do you really need a more expensive cooler, or the stock cooler is fine? And if you need another cooler, which one would you recommend? I'm a little confused by the choice of types that I see on newegg, some are vertical, some point towards the CPU, etc. Can you tell me what style is better, and what are the best brands?

Also, can I assume that a 850W Corsair power supply would be good enough for this? The system will be pushed quite a lot, not for games but for video editing and encoding to h.264. The RAM I'm planning on getting is a 16 GB g.skill DDR3 PC10666 set, the graphics card is my current one, a HIS Radeon 4850 with 1 GB of RAM. Other than that, there's three hard drives, 1 TB, 640 GB and 320 GB, and eventually I want to add two 1 or 2 TB drives in RAID mode.