View Single Post
Old 24th June, 2011, 01:10 PM
Member/Contributer

Ron - Basically everything out there is going to be product biased. There is just to much to learn otherwise.

- You seem to have already decided on VMware.

That is going to limit your server hardware;
If you are using the VSphere Hypervisor version, look into Intel MB whitebox systems.
If you are using Esx, look through and get a supported system.

If you still want to look at other high availability servers, you will be wanting to look at fail over clusters. IBM and the old Solaris stuff is what to look for.
Also look into VMware's vmotion and fault tolerance. Also have a look at XenServer, they have similar stuff with Xenmotion and Site recovery.

- Networking, there isn't a single course that is unbiased. Almost all lean towards Cisco.
The Cisco CCNA course will give you a very good understanding of networks, not just Cisco devices.

They use multiple protocols that are true standards so you don't need to use their proprietary stuff. Switching, routing, WAN, MAN, LAN, virtual networks, multi path redundancy protocols, etc

The other one which seems less product orientated, but more basic, is Comptia Network+, but again, you will get cisco based product material.

HP may have something centric around their products as well.

- SAN/NAS/etc.
Again IBM is the main contender for documentation. You may find HP, Oracle and a few others I can't remember the name of may have some documentation as well.

- As for the next 5 years. What is this used for?
Mail, DHCP, Domain Controller, network diagnostics? Anything else?

Looking at the Windows changes in the past 10 years, I spec'd an approximate 5 year hypervisor server for 4 people to test in-house built products on all MS products from XP/2k3;
48GB RAM
4TB HDD
Quad core (8 virtual core) Xeon
Dual gigabit networking

Personally for a dev environment, I would mirror the actual hardware of the prod environment as much as possible.

You just have to look and see if the hardware/software has the capability you need.

Make a list;
Needs/Requirements | Wants | Would likes | Dreams

Search for hardware that has all the needs, then the wants, etc. Then research how they do it. All companies will give basic information that is the same for everyone.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H