View Single Post
Old 15th November, 2012, 06:39 AM
Irreverent Query Chairman

One thing is, if it's a boot array, it must be worked on outside the OS. That means accessing the RAID utility in the boot sequence. It can't be done in the OS RAID utility unless it's not a boot array. But I did not have success with it either when it happened to me.

I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure that if one drive fails in the 0+1 scenario, some of the mirrored component of the RAID is gone forever, and the array can't be rebuilt without it.

The advantage of 0+1 over RAID 0 is that the array continues to function, albeit in RAID 0 (with 3 drives). Of course, in RAID 0, the entire operability of the array is gone with any drive failure. And, for the record, this is why 1+0 is superior to 0+1. RAID 10 can be rebuilt, but your RAID controller may not support it, as many don't, unless they are high-end server boards.

It happened to me once, and I simply copied out the data, broke the array, created a new one with the new drive (so it returned to 4 drives) and then copied the data back. I did not have success attempting to rebuild the array, just like you.

Anyone who knows more than I do, feel free to correct
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 15th November, 2012 at 07:01 AM.