View Single Post
Old 22nd May, 2013, 03:24 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
Perhaps, but my experience so far with WinXP and non-Pro applications, is 1GB is enough and 2GB is bragging rights. My most heavy usage consists of video conversion/rending at the consumer software level. Don't know what the consumer applications would be that require 2GB or more, but my impression reading posts on the web (presumably Win7) is that DRAM size has far more to do with bragging rights than need. That and the number of cores seem to be the current PC phallic status symbols.
I am afraid that regular consumers have a lot of peripherals attached to their computer and in order to have them functioning in realtime along with various software [and I will give you Photoshop and Photomatix as examples along with WLPG (I like to use them all at the same time)] not to mention the need of scanning a document or OCR scanning will take you well above what you mention. We are in 2013 afterall.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!