View Single Post
Old 17th July, 2013, 04:13 AM

I've found that inexpensive speakers tend to use components that have poorer distortion characteristics (even at low volume) than my ears are comfortable with. My gamer Logitech 5.1 system does a very good job (very carefully researched), but it takes very little volume before listening fatigue (from distortion) becomes a serious problem for me, and that's with a well reviewed Creative Audiogy2 sound card. I'm very sensitive to that and it took overnight to recover following replacement of my interim MLi-168 multimedia speakers (at minimal volume) by the Exclaim e10 -- though to be sure, I'm glad they were there to fill the gap .

This appears something most are insensitive to, but if one is, ignoring it results in decided discomfort (my "ears" start hurting, bringing on a low level headache and a sense of aural "thickness" or opacity). What I'm saying is if you happen to be sensitive to this and are looking for especially clean-sounding modest-cost 2.0 PC speakers, then these seem to fit the bill fairly well. I've had them installed now a full day, and am thus far satisfied. Sonics are fine with movies/games too, but not for reproducing low bass, they roll off in the vicinity of 50-60Hz. But if you're willing to eschew the low bass, the mid bass through highs are well integrated and coherent with very good mids and upper detail. They're great PC speakers, however, if you want to throw a party, then get a receiver and real speakers and stop screwing around imagining that any PC speakers are a good audience solution.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 17th July, 2013 at 04:41 AM.