AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th August, 2004, 03:21 AM

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition 1218

Get it here

This is a newer release that is much closer to being finished than build 1069.
Old 19th August, 2004, 04:14 AM

do you have to re-register or do you use the same info if you have downloaded the older version. Also does this just have alot of drivers packed in cuz the only thing that worked before was my vid card, no sound or raid!
Asetek Waterchill Antartica
2x512 OCZ Platinum LL pc3200 @2.6v
2xSeagate 80 gig SATA raid-0
ATI 9800pro (460/800)
SB live 5.1 (old)
Pioneer 16x DL+DVD burner
Dell M992 19"crt 1600x1200 .24dp

Soon to be added

ATI x800XT-PE

Server
P4 1.6
Dell 4550
80gig IDE
512mb DDR PC-2100
Windows Server 2003 EE
[url=http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=45]
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th August, 2004, 04:35 AM

You will need to register again. I can't say about new drivers, everything I have has worked except for my printer and it still doesn't work.
Old 19th August, 2004, 05:58 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Try setting up the printer as a Generic printer, should work that way.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th August, 2004, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll give it a try. Actually it will print but it prints a shrunken little quarter-page sized document up in the corner. I can work around this until a driver is available.

Some of the things that do work now in this build: system restore, the parallel port, themes and there is a firewall similar to the one in XP SP2. Data Execution Prevention is also present. So far I've had to make exceptions for Netscape and Firefox.
Old 19th August, 2004, 07:29 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Have any of you guys looked into sticking all the drivers into the XP CD so you don't have to manually install them? I'm getting tired of having to reload all my programs and drivers so I'm working on making a single DVD that will hold and install all my stuff at the same time it installs WinXP. I got this idea while slipstreaming SP2 onto my WinXP CD.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 20th August, 2004, 09:34 PM

I have thought of the DVD thing but haven't gotten around to it.

Right now I have a stack of small hard drives that have XP Home and XP Pro set up for nVidia, VIA and Intel chipsets that have SP2 and all of the applications that I normally install. I just Ghost the smaller drive to a new or corrupted drive and I can have the computer up and running in fifteen minutes, tops. I've done it once today already.
Old 20th August, 2004, 11:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I didn't know you could! Cool! ":O}

Ghosting might do the same for you, set everything up the way you like it, Ghost it, and restore if things get old on the desktop. Of course that takes a hard drive rather than a disk... but Ghost does save every setting you make in every program you run... decisions decisions":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 21st August, 2004, 05:36 AM
AOA Staff

With an unattended install, you could set it up so that it will have drivers for both AMD and Intel, drivers for both nVidia and ATI. Dump everything into a single install, including programs like Office (after slipstreaming SP1), and then install everything in one fell swoop. I like the idea and I'm gonna work on it when I get some time.

AOA Team fah

Old 21st August, 2004, 05:38 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
I didn't know you could! Cool! ":O}
It is quite possible and that is how anybody with a decent number of computers does it. Resellers do it all the time. If you reinstall from a Dell disk, it will load a bunch of other stuff. Microsoft provides a bunch of tools for doing just this.

AOA Team fah

Old 21st August, 2004, 03:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookydooky
With an unattended install, you could set it up so that it will have drivers for both AMD and Intel, drivers for both nVidia and ATI. Dump everything into a single install, including programs like Office (after slipstreaming SP1), and then install everything in one fell swoop. I like the idea and I'm gonna work on it when I get some time.
I MUCH prefer unattended installs to disk imaging, simply because I've had subtle motherboard variations screw up a disk image too many times. And it wasn't immediately obvious that the disk image was messed up. You'd run the thing for two or three days and get a mysterious crash. The crash was always be in a different process doing different things. Or you'd have an audio codec that just wouldn't load. Or the video drivers would do bizarre things. Image again, and you have another problem, but different. Run an unattended install and all your problems magically disappear. Unattended installs are great!

That being said, as long as your hardware doesn't EVER change in ANY way, imaging works fine and is definitely faster than an unattended install.
Old 21st August, 2004, 03:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookydooky
It is quite possible and that is how anybody with a decent number of computers does it. Resellers do it all the time. If you reinstall from a Dell disk, it will load a bunch of other stuff. Microsoft provides a bunch of tools for doing just this.
Yes of course they do! I wasn't thinking! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st August, 2004, 03:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Now that's interesting Giz! Your not the first I've heard this from. To be honest I don't understand it! The only time Ghost has ever failed me is when I screwed up, either Ghost on an untested overclock, or Stupidly Ghosted the wrong way! :LOL

Other than that once Ghosted back I've never had a problem, except remembering to re-start FAH":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st August, 2004, 03:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Once you have the formula pat I hope you'll share something of it with us. Sould like an interesting and time saving approach.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st August, 2004, 04:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Now that's interesting Giz! Your not the first I've heard this from. To be honest I don't understand it! The only time Ghost has ever failed me is when I screwed up, either Ghost on an untested overclock, or Stupidly Ghosted the wrong way! :LOL

Other than that once Ghosted back I've never had a problem, except remembering to re-start FAH":O}
We build a lot of servers at my office to ship out to our customers. About three years ago the volume got to be large enough that we were unable to keep up with it using normal build procedures (running the Windows2000 install from scratch). So we started using Ghost and we started having problems. Everything would go find for a couple of months, and then we'd start getting spooky support calls. Eventually found out that the mobo manufacturer (Itox) had made a minor rev to the board (changed a couple of resistors or something), so we updated the image. Problem went away. About two months after that we went through the same routine again. So we switched to DiskImage, made a new image, problem went away. About two months after that, we go through the same problems again. This went on for about a year. Finally, I got tired of the whole thing and 'took the bull by the horns' so to speak, since no one else seemed to want to. I spent two days doing some research, and built an unattended install. We had no further problems for another year, despite two more board revisions. Then, in mid 2002, we had to switch mobos because Itox stopped making that board. I showed one of the techs how to build the unattended install for the new board. We've been using the current Itox board since then with no problems, despite 6 revisions to the board.
Old 21st August, 2004, 06:03 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Once you have the formula pat I hope you'll share something of it with us. Sould like an interesting and time saving approach.
Well, yesterday, I got done slipstreaming Office2003 with SP1. That was a pain in the tuckus. Much more a pain than slipstreaming SP2 onto WinXP. I uninstalled office from my PC to see how it worked and it worked like a charm. I set it up for an unattended install so I didn't have to input any data, including name and CD key. You run the installer, come back 10 minutes later, and everything's done. Now I'm gonna try to set that up on a WinXP DVD install so it will install automatically when I install WinXP on a machine. If that works out ok, I'm gonna try to set up some drivers. I'm gonna try to pack both AMD and Intel drivers along with both nVidia and ATI video drivers and see how it works out.

AOA Team fah

Old 21st August, 2004, 06:32 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Good WORK MOOKY! Nice when the pieces cometogether!":O}

Yeah I can see that Gizmo, though I wouldn't blame Ghost. Much easier for a single user to keep Ghost updated.

It is a pain to lose Ghost support when changing motherboards.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st August, 2004, 07:35 PM
AOA Staff

Once I get it somewhat set up, I'll try to do a write up for the FAQ. It's pretty interesting stuff actually. One of the more interesting things you can do is also install the WPA.dbl file, which is the file that controls Windows activation. If you include that in a WinXP install, you don't have to reactivate your machine after reinstalling WinXP. This is obviously contingent on your hardware not having changed at all, so an install like this would be tied to the one machine. An install like this though, would be really convenient for overclockers who frequently bork their WinXP installs while overclocking too much. They wouldn't have to constantly reactivate.

AOA Team fah

Old 21st August, 2004, 07:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You've made the advantages clear! I know Kaitain is working up something like this for Linux, a compleate install disk with selected packages and drivers.

But the no repeat registration should be a bit of a God-send to our XP users! Should work for us 2000pro guys to hey?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 21st August, 2004, 08:11 PM
AOA Staff

It's not registration, it's activation. Win2K doesn't have it. If you don't register Win2K, you can still use it. If you don't activate WinXP, it shuts down after a certain number of days. It's Microsoft's new anti-piracy feature. To activate, you either have to connect to the internet to Microsoft or call Microsoft by phone to get the activation key. Each new install needs to be activated. You also need to re-activate after certain hardware changes. If too much has changed, WinXP will detect that it's on an entirely new machine and require re-activation with Microsoft. Basically, they're trying to keep track of how many installs are happening with a single CD key. The only versions that don't need to activate are OEM disks, which are dependant on the BIOS, and corporate disks. If you get a Dell WinXP disk, you don't have to re-activate after a reinstall, but if you install it on another machine it will require activation, because it checks the BIOS. If it's not a Dell BIOS, it will require re-activation. That's why you can upgrade Dell machines to the hilt without having to re-activate. Even though there are hardware changes, OEM versions check re-activation via the BIOS. The corporate disks are obviously, as the name suggests, for large volume users. Big companies don't want to bother activating stuff, so Microsoft makes a version for them that doesn't require it at all. Microsoft even gives them Volume License Keys which you can include in the install so you don't have to bother entering it on each machine.

AOA Team fah