AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th December, 2004, 05:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

64Bit Newbie Question

Right, ive been build PCs for people on the side for while, just for my own knowledge and enjoyment... and after quite a few builds and many happy customers somebody suggested they wanted a 64Bit machine. Not a blindingly fast machine but nice, some leasurly gaming and office work and had to look the part... his budget was quite limited but after some hours of trawling the net and shuffling and picking bits i finished with this:

Ahtlon 64 2800 (Newcastle) Socket 754
Abit KV8Pro
OCZ Premier 3200 512MB
Maxtor 160GB SATA 8MB Cache
Connect3D 9600XT
Thermaltake Tsunami
DVD-ROM
DVD-RW
Floppy

Now to my question:

Will the processor just set itself up in the bios like it did with the P4 and Athlon XP systems?

The reason i ask is because of the hypertransport bus? which to be honest im absolutly clueless about! Building it shouldnt be a problem, its just the intial setup i was worried about.

Thanks. Razor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2004, 03:21 PM

Anyone?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th December, 2004, 03:27 PM
Member/Contributer

yeah it shouldn't be a problem, the HT bus isn't much of an issue really it just works

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th December, 2004, 03:34 PM

Anything i should know about set up?
Old 5th December, 2004, 03:39 PM
AOA Staff

I doubt that you will have any trouble, at least it is no more taxing than building a system based around any other processor.
Old 5th December, 2004, 04:01 PM

Cool, thats put my mind to rest, what do you think of the spec?
Old 5th December, 2004, 04:17 PM
AOA Staff

Maybe, go for a 3000 CPU if he has the extra dosh. Otherwise, it looks fine to me. I'm assuming he wants to run it at stock speed.
Old 5th December, 2004, 04:22 PM

His budget wouldnt allow any higher than the 2800. i managed to get all of the for just under £500! and thats with an £80 case! ive read reviews that show the Athlon 64 2800 outperforming the Athlon XP 3200 and its cheaper so not bad at all, but i agree the 3000 would be better, but so would the 3400 etc. its deciding where to stop and his budget stopped it there!
Old 5th December, 2004, 04:49 PM
AOA Staff

The 754 platform will leave him with plenty of scope for upgrading the CPU in the future.
Old 5th December, 2004, 06:18 PM
Member/Contributer

I'd recomend a 9800se over the 9600xt, they perform pretty much the same except theres the possibility of modding it to a 9800 pro/xt
and for the dvd-rw I recomend either the nec 3500 or if your friend would find dvd-ram useful the LG GSA4160 DL
in most situations the 2800 will beat a 3200xp, plus it should overclock quite well to

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah