AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd January, 2005, 10:36 PM

amd roadmap

could 939 be coming to it's end, too?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=359873

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20864

My Heatware
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd January, 2005, 10:40 PM
Member/Contributer

don't sound so surprised, I bet amd's biggest market is the enthusiast market, the kind that will buy new parts and upgrade regularly
this is why I rarely make recomendations based on upgrade potential.

Long live s754!!

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2005, 02:16 AM

yes, long live 754...

My Heatware
Old 24th January, 2005, 02:23 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

http://endian.net/roadmap.asp?MapNo=2

the site i linked has a continually updated roadmap of processors in general, and thier release dates based on certain manufacturer's conditions.

regardless of those other site's sources, this one is continually updated, and probably the original source of info.

what really excites me is this(SKU's are already out):
Quote:

2005-H2 AMD ToledoDesktop Athlon 64 FX chip with dual cores.

x80:2400 MHz, 1.35V, 80A, 95W, 67°C
x75:2200 MHz, 1.35V, 80A, 95W, 67°C
x75:2200 MHz, 1.15V, 48A, 55W, 71°C
x70:2000 MHz, 1.15V, 48A, 55W, 71°C
x60:1600 MHz, 1.10V, 30A, 30W, 71°C

L2 cache1 MB
Process90 nm SOI
TypeDesktop, AMD64, Dual cores
CoreToledo
Old 24th January, 2005, 03:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Dave, as you seem to follow these things how about keeping us updated front page, throw a little insight our way! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th January, 2005, 03:43 AM

very informative page there...

My Heatware
Old 24th January, 2005, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Dave, as you seem to follow these things how about keeping us updated front page, throw a little insight our way! ":O}
I'd be honored to, Daniel, but due to my current schedule, I cannot guarantee my promptness w/the news (although I always manage to get the goods at some point during the day...feeding my family kinda depends on it!).

Feel free to PM me with details and we can discuss it further.
Old 24th January, 2005, 12:34 PM
Steve Jobs

interesting that once again the inquirer are using 2nd hand information that doesnt come from AMD at all as the basis for their report "well it came from a gif thats at this link.... oh wait the link doesnt work" and the rest of their info on these new sockets comes from "AMD said in documents seen by the INQ" documents of unknown origin and doubtful authenticity.

Anand have a '05 'early '06 roadmap first hand from AMD here http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2303

i couldnt find too much on new sockets there :\

the inquirer also claimed that they had confirmation of an nvidia 6900 24 pipeline GPU and estimated release date. which they later changed their mind on after nvidia discounted it as complete BS.

i hope socket 939 isnt dying

lets hope the inquirer are wrong again
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 24th January, 2005, 06:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I fully expect socket 939 to go away in three years or so, because when DDR2 becomes the mainstream, it will almost certainly require a new socket based on what I've read. However, I can't see nVidia killing socket 939 in 2006, much less 2005. 2007, maybe.
Old 24th January, 2005, 06:56 PM

1068 pins for DDR2, i hear. or somewhere's around that number. I am pretty sure that that is what the socket "M2" is, that is slowly filtering through the testmarket. There was alot of stuff showcased behind closed doors @ CES, and the rumours and speculation have started.
I'm kinda dissappointed that the move seems to be duality for greater bus bandwidth, rather than whole new designs. While i understand, it does not make me any happier. I was really looking forward to seeing a cpu that is on a natural 1ghz FSB; no double/quad-pumping, no fancy up-down...just plain ol' gigahertz of data flow.

Last edited by cadaveca; 24th January, 2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 24th January, 2005, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
I was really looking forward to seeing a cpu the is on a natural 1ghz FSB; no double/quad-pumping, no fancy up-down...just plain ol' gigahertz of data flow.
agree with you totally there...i'll stick with 754...probably swap out my 2800 & mobo for a 3000+ & a DFI...

My Heatware
Old 24th January, 2005, 09:51 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

With Intel to start pushing dual core CPUs for the desktop, I suspect any AMD roadmap (even official) to be dubious at best. In all likelihood, AMD will have to respond to any Intel offerings quickly to stay afloat.

I'm looking forward to the launch of inexpensive dual cores from Intel.... At that point, wait 6-9 months and you'll see the same from AMD. At that point, I'll be looking for serious upgrades. I'm counting on Intel to launch in time so I can start waiting for AMD's response... I expect prices to be quite reasonable, maybe $200 for a low end dual core processor.

I doubt even AMD realizes that Intel is painting itself into a corner... Think of it this way. Intel's prescott at 3.6ghz is only comparable to an A64 2.4ghz because of HT. If you think of the new dual cores as basically 2 cpus glued together, on the Intel side, you lose the gain of HT and get true multiprocessing instead. The "slower" AMD will get the full benefit of multi processing without any kind of a hit.... I think AMD will be forced to react in a way that will actually improve the company in the long run.... Anyway, I'm just speculating...
Old 24th January, 2005, 09:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Your making a lot of sense to me Steve. If only good sense ruled the world hey?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 24th January, 2005, 10:08 PM

I agree with you, Steve, but not wholeheartedly. there were 14 examples of multi-core chips, that i have seen, at CES. 9 of them were AMD.
AMD is not focused on marketing. Never has been, never will be. Intel, on the otherhand, is spending billions of dollars every year on marketing. Yet, at one of the largest tradeshows this year, AMD had more chips to show up and running, while intel just talked about it.
Now, you can argue that it's a tradeshow, and for AMD to make it's presence felt, it should have a larger amt of working examples to show. But intel is all about showmanship...and really, they lost the pagent.
AMD has 1 watt cpu's...that scale to like 8w @ 1ghz. Intel has a 130w dualcore badboy....that will require a heatsink the size of a kitchen sink...
I see AMD's 1.6ghz 30w dualcore...and you know what...i could probably legally presell you one...how about a 55w 2ghz model? Oh, you want intel's 130w baddyboy? I think not.
Old 24th January, 2005, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio

i couldnt find too much on new sockets there :\

the inquirer also claimed that they had confirmation of an nvidia 6900 24 pipeline GPU and estimated release date. which they later changed their mind on after nvidia discounted it as complete BS.

i hope socket 939 isnt dying

lets hope the inquirer are wrong again

um, what socket does the Geode run on? Just because it isn't widely known, does not make it an issue. How many peopel knew about the plan to go to mounting brakets like today 1 year ago? I bet AMD and Intel did.

939 will die...but not anytime soon. to do that, would mean the transition to DDR2, most likely, and not is not ever likely to happen with AMD. DDR4 (now only on vidcards) maybe, but why?

Watching the market, everyone is waiting for the price of memory to fall this year. It's expected to tank. It will....but not until about august, september.

Last edited by cadaveca; 25th January, 2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old 24th January, 2005, 10:12 PM
Member/Contributer

According to that article amd has a version of ht planned
AMD also have another advantage when it comes to dual cores. Intel are going to have to significantly reduce the heat output of it's core if they are going to line 2 side by side, where as the much cooler amd cores won't take such a hit

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th January, 2005, 04:20 AM

im gana get 3 grand in like 4-5 months, and i was planning on building a SLI, socket 939 pc. do u guys think i should do it when i get the money or just wait for that new sutff to come out in 2006?
Old 25th January, 2005, 05:10 AM
Member/Contributer

ask again in 4-5 moths

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th January, 2005, 05:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you wait for the new stuff, you'll always be waiting, because there will always be something better 'in just a few months'.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: "Is what I am getting worth what I am paying for it?"

You are the only one who can answer that question, because we all place different priorities on different features. Come this May, the rig in my siggy will be two years old, and I will probably be looking to upgrade around the end of the year, for several reasons:

1) I'm a geek. A two year old system is ancient history.
2) The new stuff (PCIe, SLI, A64) should be pretty stable.
3) The performance improvement will be worth the price.

So, take a look at what you can get now for the price, and decide if you are willing to pay the price for what you get. If not, wait.
Old 27th January, 2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
If you wait for the new stuff, you'll always be waiting, because there will always be something better 'in just a few months'.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: "Is what I am getting worth what I am paying for it?"

You are the only one who can answer that question, because we all place different priorities on different features. Come this May, the rig in my siggy will be two years old, and I will probably be looking to upgrade around the end of the year, for several reasons:

1) I'm a geek. A two year old system is ancient history.
2) The new stuff (PCIe, SLI, A64) should be pretty stable.
3) The performance improvement will be worth the price.

So, take a look at what you can get now for the price, and decide if you are willing to pay the price for what you get. If not, wait.
i totaly agree with u. the only thing that makes me ask this question is i read something about SLI not working or hacked in the driver or something like that, my english isnt so good so i dont understand things too well but if u know what im talking about can you explain it to me in easy words?