AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd February, 2005, 05:25 PM

Dual Geforce 6600GT faster than 6800 Ultra or X850XT PE

Looks very Inderesting

http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/FileLis...050107_3d1.htm
Old 3rd February, 2005, 12:37 AM
Steve Jobs

gigabyte marketing are the only people that think its faster than a 6800U or x850XT

in testing it failed to beat a 6800GT at all. didnt come close to a 6800 ultra and got absolutely whipped by an X850XTPE. it just isnt in the same game as the big boys.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzEy

The gigabyte marketing people should have given their engineers a phone call before making up trash on their site :\
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2005, 04:25 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The job of marketing people is do distort reality so that it conforms to their company's vision of what the world should look like.......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2005, 06:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

Maybe they'll make an SLI card to run in SLI mode with another SLI card.........
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Old 3rd February, 2005, 06:49 AM
Steve Jobs

hmm maybe they will but something really needs to be done about GPU power consumption first.

2 6800UEs in SLI draws near 260W alone.
4 would draw 540W.

the heat output involved....
oh dear...

you want quad GPU? heres quad GPU

This card can be bought on its own *when it comes out* will work in any NF4 SLI board *when it comes out* and has an SLI connector on the top capable of running in quad GPU mode. (its an asus something or other)

SLI tech is capable of scaling quite well, unlike the old voodoo2 SLI system (this is the only part of the new SLI that is better than the old one) so with 4 gpus you can run 4X alternating frame rendering (though you would have too many frames prerendered) or more usefully you could have AFR and SFR running at once.

GPU1 does top half of frame 1
GPU2 does bottom half of frame 1
GPU3 does top half of frame 2
GPU 4 does bottom half of frame 2.

1GB of ram as well.
catch is you are limited to the lowest common denominator, so overclocking is limited to the slowest of the 4 GPUs. on top of that if there is a profile that supports quad gpu (and none exist yet) then you will get full performance. if there is an SLI only profile then you get 2 gpus working and 2 taking a siesta. and if there is no profile then you have a lousy 6600GT.

on the plus side, REDUNDANCY!!.
one gpu dies mid game and you shift load to a backup gpu

or even better, and smarter. alternate GPUs in use. Keep 2 GPUs running for 10 mins until the temp gets up. then shift load completely to the other 2 cool gpus while the ones you were using get a breather

no wait, thats stupid. and so is SLI
Attached Images

Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 3rd February, 2005, 06:56 AM
Steve Jobs

some better images for those interested:

this shows a better image of the ASUS SLI SLI card
with it in a mobo with SLI setup on the SLI cards
SLI SLI SLI
Attached Thumbnails
Dual Geforce 6600GT faster than 6800 Ultra or X850XT PE-asus_en6600gt_sli.jpg   Dual Geforce 6600GT faster than 6800 Ultra or X850XT PE-en6600gt_pci-e-and-conn.jpgconn.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	11779   Dual Geforce 6600GT faster than 6800 Ultra or X850XT PE-en6600gt_smth.jpg  
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 3rd February, 2005, 07:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
SLI SLI SLI
Careful. We may have to start paying nVidia for using that.
Old 3rd February, 2005, 09:01 AM

Still looks interesting tho even if it does actually perform better guess it all depends on what the cost is i suppose, probably near the price of the ultra
Old 3rd February, 2005, 09:47 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Careful. We may have to start paying nVidia for using that.
*dsio doesnt care

i was saying SLI not SLI
the SLI i was saying was scan line interleave. not scalable link interface. 3dfx can sue me if they like

oh thats right, they got eaten. my bad.
i still like nvidia but 3dfx owns both ATI and Nvidia.
3DFX is forever.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 3rd February, 2005, 10:15 AM
Member/Contributer

3dfx's was scalable too, voodoo5 anyone? and it was still like you said elsewhere, more transparent which is hwy I don't get how complicated this new multicore setup is when they own that technology.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd February, 2005, 10:24 AM
Steve Jobs

I think the main problem is in the new rendering methods. voodoo 2 SLI was very pre hardware TnL, almost like a 3d enhanced 2D renderer. that allowed them to render alternating lines in a single frame, because those lines were independent of eachother to some degree. In todays age of per pixel shading you have to render the whole scene, then apply shaders, then chuck it in the frame buffer. as far as alternate frame rendering goes, good idea!, until you are using some kind of frame dependent rendering method which most games use. slow motion for instance, takes the previous frame, saves it, renders the next frame, then superimposes the old frame over the new one. when gpus are waiting for data from eachother, this method falls flat on its face, as can be seen when AFR is forced in max payne etc and the frame rate on a 6800U SLI setup drops to 10fps.

i think it may be a little unfair blaming nvidia for everything given we havnt got a recent comparison in technology (3dfx owns nvidia still) but maybe when ati releases their (and 3dfx will always own nvidia :P) version of SLI, maybe we will have something to go on. then we can call ATI's SLI crap

or email nvidia saying "how come ATI can do it and you cant"
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 3rd February, 2005, 04:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Methinks if ATI comes out with a version of SLI that kicks nVidia's hind quarters, there will be some engineers at nVidia looking for new jobs.......'course, I COULD be wrong.
Old 4th February, 2005, 12:04 AM
Steve Jobs

Dude they'll be looking for new homes as well after the 6800 owners find them. Nvidia was a red hair away from class action law suits over the whole video processor that doesnt know its a video processor debacle. If ATI gets sli there will be riots in the streets!

or at least riots at lan parties.
and in counter-strike games :\
or wherever $1000 video card owners go to hang out.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah