AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th February, 2005, 05:27 PM
AOA Staff

A Trip Down Route 64, by cadaveca

Read cadaveca's article here at AOA:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/i...=249&Itemid=34

Thanks Dave!
Old 5th February, 2005, 07:30 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Thanks for getting it up there, Danrok.

Motherboards next week, and we'll go a little more in depth with them as well.
Old 5th February, 2005, 07:51 PM

Nicely done, Cada! Was a good read and helpful for the planned upgrade.
Old 5th February, 2005, 10:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I was up late and I'm groggy, but with a fresh mind I'll give this one a careful read...still trying to understand this chip!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2005, 12:55 AM
Steve Jobs

The part about the HTT and hypertransport bus is particularly interesting, i always thought HTT was just marketing spin on FSB, but i didnt figure in the memory controller. Also interesting is the hypertransport voltage. I get the impression, and i may be wrong, that increasing the hypertransport bus voltage may not infact allow a higher speed (above 2GB/s) stock is 1000mhz, and i believe 1080mhz seams to be as high as this bus wants to go without reducing the LDT multiplier. So does voltage have an impact on the speed of the hypertransport bus or not?
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2005, 01:03 AM

no, upping LDT voltage will not increase functionality...the 1.25v is good all the way up to 2800mhz, or 1400mhzx2, or however you want to word it. The point is, however, that the 1.25v is good for speeds that no chipset or CPU currently supports.

Because of the high signal loss at higher frequencies, it may improve stability to raise voltage when going higher, but because the loss is already so high, you'll end up just creating more loss, and then making stabilty harder to obtain.
Old 7th February, 2005, 01:09 AM
Steve Jobs

ok, so 1.25V is specified for hypertransport bus speeds of up to 1400Mhz? I always tried to keep mine under 1080 at stock voltage because i thought that was the limit of the technology for the time being. I might have a play around with that when i get home, thanks cada.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 7th February, 2005, 01:12 AM

just remember that neither your CPU or your mothreboard support such speeds. It's an easy way to screw your CPU or motherboard, running with too high a LDT voltage. This is part of the reason i put so much information about it there...

Also remember that the newcastle is 800mhz LDT, but that gets multiplied by 2 to equal the 1600mhz, as they factor in both the up signal and the down signal into the overall rating.
Old 9th February, 2005, 01:36 AM

Great read, although im not entirely sure about 754 keeping up with 939, only from the fact ive had both versions of a msi and epox board and I have to say the 939s are far superior in benching and in games
Old 9th February, 2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
Great read, although im not entirely sure about 754 keeping up with 939, only from the fact ive had both versions of a msi and epox board and I have to say the 939s are far superior in benching and in games

Yes, you are correct in that 939 is faster, however, you can get similar performance for less money by going 754. I mean really, with not even fast ram, i'm runnig 75000 in aquamark...sure, 939 would get me to maybe 78000, but we are talking about 3 FPS, and at this level, those 3 FPS do not really make that much of a difference.

In regards to overclocking 939 is superior as well, because of the winchester chips, but those chips do come at a premium. As always, it just comes down to how much money you want to spend, and how much guaranteed performance you want.
Old 9th February, 2005, 01:47 AM
Steve Jobs

Do the S754 chipsets have a AGP/PCI divider on them? Because i have heard S754 chips on 130nm processes getting some pretty decent OCs, particularly the 3400+ and 3700+ parts.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 9th February, 2005, 01:52 AM

the chipset i am using does, as well as 2ghz LDT. But my chipset is a 939 one ported over, same one as yours.

Newcastles generally max out at 2.6-2.7ghz. Takes supreme cooling to get them higher. The Clawhammer can go almost as high, but it's a bit touchy with the extra cache.

I'm not too sure about the N-Force3 chipsets...they are a failure, in my books, and should be taken off of the market, replaced with N-Force4's. I think the 250GB had agp locks, but no pci, but don't quote me on that.
Old 9th February, 2005, 01:54 AM
Member/Contributer

754 does keep up with 939 simply because of amd's performance rating system. a 2ghz 939 system is a fair bit faster than a 2ghz 754 system, but they are rated to reflect this, and so a 3200+ 754 system can compare very closely to a 3200+ 939 system.
but 939's have come down in price at the lower end, and theres very little differance in price between the 3000 and 3200 chips when comparing between sockets

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th February, 2005, 02:04 AM
Steve Jobs

oh ok, i was under the impression that the clawhammer/newcastle series CPUs were chips which had quite high overclocking potential, but were severely crippled by dodgy chipsets. I agree on the NF3 chipset, that thing was a joke from the start. it was an opteron part originally i think that became a S754 part, then became a S939 part but never did the job IMO. the new NF4U is just damn amazing. If it had AGP rather than PCI-E i would have bought it instead of the K8T800pro.

I have actually always leant towards VIA more than nvidia. I hopped on board the original Nvidia Nforce fiasco. $150 for one of the worse motherboards ever designed. Ive never had a problem with VIA parts, and they have always been comparable in terms of performance of not usually better, with less sophisticated technology. These days, their features and technology is on par with nvidia and they do an admirable job. There really havnt been any crappy Via chipsets. nvidia had the nforce (an egg) then the nforce 2 (awesome) then the nforce 3 (return of the egg) then nforce 4 (back to awesome). Ah well. Thats just my opinion anyway.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 9th February, 2005, 02:35 AM

socket a =Nforce2 ultra
socket 754=via k8t800pro
socket939=Nforce4Ultra...at least until the k8t890pro comes out, and then we will see.

Via has become quitethe force in the AMD market as of late, largely due to faster IDE access times. going VIA does not really benefit a SATA user, other than 100% working locks(at least on my board), but my ide times are on par with SATA.
Old 9th February, 2005, 02:42 AM
Steve Jobs

I didnt go VIA for performance, just for consistancey and reliability. I cant remember a really bad VIA board. Even the old MVP3 was a champion. bought it for a P233, 2 years later it was running a 600mhz K6-2. thats some scalability right there. my HDDs are so fragmented and rotten that my IDE access times are on par with PIO mode 1, so i dont really care about that lol. Ive heard some good things about the K8T890 Pro, do you know when the ETA for parts based on this chipset will be available?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 9th February, 2005, 02:48 AM

i believe they have issue with NB to SB communication right now..on par with ATI's difficulties. I had a chance to paly with one a few weeks back, and it worked ok, but it was not mine to really play with.
Old 9th February, 2005, 02:51 AM
Steve Jobs

yea i forgot ATI has an S939 chipset comming out too. Radeon express wasnt it? What have they done that breaks ground previously unbroken?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 9th February, 2005, 03:00 AM
Member/Contributer

express 200, it has a full dx9 igp other than that it's just meant to be a pretty good performing chipet.
It shouldn't have the memory bandwidth issues their intel range had with the a64's being onchip

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th February, 2005, 03:15 AM
Steve Jobs

Wait a second, its an IGP chipset. So this is a budget product for part time gamers or HTPCs? Thats pretty lame. :\
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah