AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st February, 2005, 02:32 AM

Wierd Gaming Problem

Okay so all my games seem to be running EXTREMLY fast, but not in a normal way.

Like I actually move very fast, physically speaking. My HalfLife2 character moves extremly fast. I'm not quite sure what other people see when I do this, cause I can kill them and everything.

I have this problem with World of Warcraft
here is what I posted there

Everything about my WoW goes in hyper speed.

Examples:

1) The login screen has that twisting flame vortex thing and it moves really fast

2) My character selection screen. My character moves very fast on that, twitching quickly through the motions (look right, left, etc..)

3) In game my character runs a million miles an hour. While my character moves quickly it actually isn't where it shows that it is. I can't do anything until the time it normally would've taken to get to where I was elapses

4) everyone eleses characters move at lightning speed

5) My spells cast time bar moves quickly, but again the spell doesn't go off till it normally would've.

Specs that might help you figure out the issue.

CPU: AMD 3400+ DTR ClawHammer
RAM: 1Gb Mushkin 3500+ level one
MoBo: Abit NF8 (nVidia nForce3, 250gb version) (Latest 64-bit Drivers)
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb (Running Latest 64-bit Drivers)
HD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB

And here's the special element.

I can't' quite figure that out
Old 21st February, 2005, 02:59 AM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

all i can say is that on my setup i've not had any of those problems, unless you count the emulator that i used, in which one or 2 games ran faster than it was possible to play em, i put it down to coding error.

also i dont have winXP 64bit ed

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2005, 07:12 AM
AOA Staff

you've succesfully mastered time travel!!

seriously tho, thats whack. does any thing but games run like that?
Old 21st February, 2005, 03:46 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

yeah i like to use over powered machines to play games that take up 2k of memory lol

im thinking driver or win64 problem, but im sure you figured that out already, plus what the hell do i know?

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2005, 05:12 PM
Member/Contributer

`bind kp_ins "+ogc_hud"
Old 21st February, 2005, 06:28 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

I had the exact same problem in Flat out and in NFS underground 2. The thing is that we we're playing in multiplayer and I was accused of cheatting. I went to my neighbour and let my son play to see what are they talking about. In NFS when the race started in the first 10 seconds I was totaly disapearing, so fast was the car moving. Same thing in Flat out. I just change the video driver to an older one and had no problem. One time lately I reinstalled wind and installed the same driver and I got the same problem. On the other hand I just saw that when my vcard was not overclocked the speed prob was there still, but not that accute !! Hope this helps,

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 22nd February, 2005, 12:46 PM

I had a similar issue with CS:S the other players would move really really fast and I would move like I was stuck in mud.

I'ld say it is a driver issue with the ATI card.
With Nvidia's drivers the previous version would double my FPS in the CS:S video stress test, but players were almost teleporting when ingame (you see them at a door then you see them 15 ft from the door, they didn't run they just pop'd over and then pop'd over another 15ft). But with Nvidia's driver instead of me moving at light speed it was like I was run'n knee deep in mud (very very slow).

The latest ATI drivers are they DirectX only or do they also contain OpenGL components as well?
Do you have them at the default settings or have you changed to optimized or quality settings?
Have you checked to make sure you have the latest and greatest from ATI driver wise (ie check the aoa/files section to see if their is a new version).
Did ATI put out a fix and known problems list with the drivers and if so have you looked to see if your issue's are listed in that list?
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's
Old 23rd February, 2005, 06:29 PM

some of my games went like that too when i completed a Over clock that was too high for a couple of games i have, but i then tuned down the pc a small bit and everything was ok again. this is on a 32bit system.
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 24th February, 2005, 12:32 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Shouldn't these games be limiting frames? Usually you would do all checking upon a re-draw which should be limited and eradicates this problem.
Old 24th February, 2005, 12:46 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

not when frames equals high benches, and that's all these companies care about....don't get high frames when v-sync'ed either, and that should solve it as well. But who uses v-sync?
Old 24th February, 2005, 12:56 AM
AOA Staff

PC games many years ago had no timing control. So, for a while there was a problem with games running too fast on fast PC's. You had to run a DOS program called goslow.com to slow games down to the intended speed.

I have never heard of this happening in this day and age, though.
Old 24th February, 2005, 01:46 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

These company's should think first and find a good frame limit for the game and then allow a frame limiting option it's really....really.....really!!!!!! quick and easy to do. My game's are crappy things i play around with though there isn't any reason to allow more then the necessary frame limit.
Old 24th February, 2005, 10:41 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
But who uses v-sync?
Well, actually, I do. For me, there's no advantage to running my games higher than the vsync rate anyhow.
Old 24th February, 2005, 10:45 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

LoL Aedan, I use it too, in most games. It's only online games that don't get it.