AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th May, 2005, 07:02 AM

Question Has anyone picked up one of the E revision cpu's?

I know they are in the wild. And I know that new egg has run out of their Venice core 3500+'s (but they still have some of the 3200 and 3000's).

So I was wondering if anyone around here has picked one up and if so what kind of speeds are you seeing out of it.

Air Cooled, Water Block, Phase Change

Inquiring minds would like to know (what can I say, I'm a true Geek).
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th May, 2005, 04:36 PM
Member/Contributer

I've seen some reviews with them reaching 2.8ghz or more with very little extra voltage
In the right hands I bet 3ghz isn't out of the question

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th May, 2005, 03:32 AM
Member/Contributer

I got mine up at 333*8 2.66 gighz, ram at 1.5-2-2-9 it runs quite well, does having a high HTT really matter, or should i just worry about gettin it back into the 2.7 range and screw the crazy high HTT?

I've decided its termally limited though, it loads to 50, because I have a low flow fan on it and warm room air. I think 2 normal speed fans may be in order when I get bored with this and try to get 3 gighz. That is if I'm not too bored and put a pelt on it lol.
Old 10th May, 2005, 03:39 AM
Member/Contributer

No the high HTT doesn't matter, especially if you have lowered the ratio to keep it stable, I'm guessing you are on a 3X which is still only 1ghz (same as 200mhz multiplied by 5)
The Athlon64 is in a unique position of not being all that bandiwdth restricted thanks to the onchip memory controller, so the HT bus doesn't have half as much to carry as a regular front side bus
You would benefit far more from cpu clock speed or memory speed than HT bus speed

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th May, 2005, 08:47 PM

got an oem 3700 coming shortly