AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th June, 2005, 07:44 AM

cpu dilemma!!!

Alright, I have no idea when i should buy my new cpu. I want to spend the money right now but, some dual core cpus are up the roof and intel and amd said that their moving and modifing their architectures on their cpus. I need YOURE opinion, should I wait on dual core? Intel said by the end of the 2005 their will have dual with 6mb cache and significantly lower prices. Amd is will be moving to 1207 pins and ddr2. And I just read samsung will be supporting DDR3 ram by next year. What the hell do I do? Wait/buy/ wtf!!! I want the next build for my system to last at least before I go to college.

setup now:
ASUS P4SD-LA i865PE CHIPSET
INTEL PENTIUM 4HT @ 3.2Ghz*
KINGSTON HYPER-X 1024MB DUAL CHANNEL PC3200 DDR RAM
don't ask about the gpu, it SUCKS (Geforce 4MX 440)
Seagate 370GB hdd

wanting now: in 6months-year AMD solution
Asus A8N SLI DELUXE
AMD ATHLON X2 4200+ or better
Samsung 1024MB DDR3
Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX
Seagate Baracudda 250GB SATA-II
Maxtor MaxLineIII 250GB w16mb cache

Intel solution:
ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe
Intel Pentium D 930 3.0Ghz (possibly 4mb or 6mb cache)
Samsung 1024MB DDR3
Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX
Seagate Baracudda 250GB SATA-II
Maxtor MaxLineIII 250GB w16mb cache
Old 24th June, 2005, 01:03 PM
Member/Contributer

I'd hold off, your current system is decent enough, perhaps a mid range vid card to complement it like a 6600, 6600GT or 9800pro to tide you over

Current Pentium D's are reasonably priced, though not the best performers and very hot. Intel are likely to dump the netburst architechture in the near future, hopefully moving to the Pentium M or similar which puts them right back in there with AMD for performance so it's worth giving it some time to see how things pan out, especially given your current system

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th June, 2005, 01:41 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You wait. You'll almost always get a better system from waiting.
There are a lot of changes going on right now, so it might be better to see what comes out of them.
Old 24th June, 2005, 02:28 PM
Member/Contributer

There is a point at which you have to bite the bullet and stop waiting though. Someone who needed a new system and didn't have one or had quite an old system I would recomend just going for one now.

But your system is quite respectable (apart from the graphics) so it really will pay off holding out.

Grab a video card that you aren't going to be worried about buying another in 6-12 months and then when time comes go for a whole new setup, that way you'll have 2 games capable systems you can use for lanning with friends

Oh and when the time comes I think 2GB will be a good idea for memory, 1GB is becoming quite typical today, in 6 months or so 2GB will be a nice amount to have

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th June, 2005, 04:58 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
...Oh and when the time comes I think 2GB will be a good idea for memory, 1GB is becoming quite typical today, in 6 months or so 2GB will be a nice amount to have
I just upgraded to 2 x 1gig of Corsair Value Select dual channel memory for only $175... The best part is the memory is doing 240mhz 2.5-3-3-7 w/ 2.27v.
Old 24th June, 2005, 06:09 PM

will the 6800GT/ultra be enough to handle future games like ut 2007 and other games which use the unreal 3 engine? On max settings?
Old 24th June, 2005, 08:39 PM
Member/Contributer

A 6800GT should manage the Unreal 3 and Quake 4 engines just fine, I don't know about max settings as they are likely to take advantage of the extra power that will be available from the 7800 and R520 cards but it should still look perty

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th June, 2005, 05:19 AM
Steve Jobs

ATI X series cards on the other hand wont. Performance will suffer on Quake 4, given its OpenGL API and Nvidia favouring developer, and the SM3.0 heavy Unreal Engine 3.0 will not be able to run with special effects at any speed on current ATI hardware. Even an X850XTPE 3 card crossfire setup wont make a difference. The 6800GT will still look better.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 25th June, 2005, 11:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Ignore dsio's propaganda. He is just a fanboy, (like most everyone here).

Just joking dsio, because your right.

A single 6800GT will look better than 3 X850XTPE's because, a single X850 would run it no problems. But it doesnt support SM3.0 this is why a 6800GT would be better. Unless you want to wait for the R520.

Saying that about nVidia was like pulling steel pins through my cheeks.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 25th June, 2005, 03:04 PM

Wait!

AOA Team fah
Old 25th June, 2005, 04:21 PM
Member/Contributer

I think the 6800's have already had all the price cuts their due for a while

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150102

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 26th June, 2005, 01:29 AM

Talking New Sys

Hi,

It`s a tough call when to buy a new sys. I waited and waited and chose each part as they got decent reviews. Dual cores look nice but sound very expensive ! Venice and SD cores have had great OC`s, and are reasonably priced.

My last sys has lasted me well, it`s still going strong and able to play everything incl HL2 no problems. Shows that a decent OC on a stable system will last you , mine has for a year and a half with no upgrades. I`ve only moved to a new one due to my need for speed and frame rates , plus hunger for OC`ing :-)
Abit NF-7S Ver 2.0 Bios 23 , Barton2600 xp-m @2.60ghz(FSB 200@13.0x ) 1.95 VCore ,Asetek KT03 kit , 1GB Winbond PC3200 CAS 2.0, Nvidia FX5900 Ultra @478/908 ,2x80gb Seagate Barracuda V SATA RAID 0 ,Creative Audigy 2,Sandra PR3528,3Dmark v3.04 6106.WinXP Pro Sp1 5.1.2600. Prime95 stable.

New sys AMD SD3700 , 1GB OCZ 4200 Plat Ver 2.0 , DFI Nforce4 SLI-DR, MSI 6800GT, OCZ Modstream 520W , Audigy 2 ZS, all going to be frosted in a Mach2 GT Prommy :-)
Old 26th June, 2005, 08:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

Wait, the prices will be falling drastically in the next few months. The Venice core is a particularyl nice one for overclocking. The dual cores are just starting to become popular and take shape so i would really wait. If you can afford it (and need it), you could go for 4Gb of RAM, it will set you back a bit at the moment bt in 6 months, it will have come down dramatically. If you don't need that much, 2Gb would be a nice amount. As for graphics, like i have been told, the 6800, 6800GT and 6800Ultra's will also be falling at a fast rate, the cheapest i have seen is about £150, which will be about £100 soon. I would wait and get a dual core, it will be worth it in the long run.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 26th June, 2005, 08:17 PM
OcBible Creator

Wait for a while things are changing....

Last edited by MrSeanKon; 27th June, 2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 27th June, 2005, 07:49 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

freestyle, your comp is better than most of ours, chill, save the money.
just get a new video card.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th June, 2005, 08:20 PM

Why not just get a new GFX card? Then it'd be a kick ass system. Your Core components are already tons more powerful than what I have. Maybe you have more money though.
If you have a girlfriend buy her something instead, she'll love you for it and appreciate it far more than not seeing you even more because you at home playing games on a spanking new dual-core. Trust me. You don't need a new PC.....not really, at least not for another 3 or 4 months.
If you have no girlfriend then spend you time getting to know a girl you like. And then spend the money on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 4th July, 2005, 12:53 AM

would a 6800NU be good for playing games like UT2007, FEAR, and other graphic (next gen) games? if i unlock the pipes and vetex shaders will it be a good deal? Im planning to build my next comp. in 2007, will the 6800NU (unlocked) last me up till then?
Old 4th July, 2005, 11:14 AM
Member/Contributer

I'd say the 6800NU is the best card in it's price range, and definately the best able to cope with the future unreal quake engines.

I wouldn't bank on it unlocking though, while theres every chance it will, theres still a chance you will be one of the unlucky ones (cue dsio's ever so witty remarks about my good self)

If you want to guarantee performance then I would say it's worth going for an actual 6800GT. You can get an XFX card for £188/$284

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th July, 2005, 11:56 AM

Video: The 6800 GT is almost $100 less then what it was 3 months ago (end of march).

The next time the 6800 GT will have a price drop is when ATI get's the R5xx series out the door.

CPU: a 4200+ may sound expensive, but when you consider most Nvidia based machines have intergrated NIC, Firewall, audio, software Raid, etc. Those built in components eat up cpu cycles. Just by offloading the game or primary app you plan on using to the second cpu means that program gets 100% of that second cpu while your base programs (Firewall, Antivirus, Web Browser, etc) run on the first processor.

Now the only question is has M$ made it easier to offload your primary application to the second cpu or do you need to dedicate the app via task manager (old NT way of doing things).
2GB OCZ PC4000 Gold
SLI'd E-VGA 6800 GT's
Old 4th July, 2005, 06:52 PM
Team 45 Folder

Send a message via MSN to Got EpOx Send a message via Skype™ to Got EpOx

"Good things come to those who wait"
232GB Western Digital 'My Book' External HDD USB 2.0
80GB Hitachi SATA HDD
Onboard Audio
Intel GMA 950 Onboard Video
Want to make a difference without leaving your chair?, then join the AOA folding team today!
AOA Folding @Home