AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd December, 2005, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

Planning 64bit system

Hey guys, so Ive decided on building a 64bit system... I don't know a whole lot about 64bit systems yet, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can from these forums... I am planning on using an EpoX mobo, and am not sure on the processor yet...

From what I read Opterons are the more popular, is there a reason for this?
Also anyone have a favorite EpoX board for 64bit systems?
Last question is could anyone recommend a good PCI-E graphics card, that isnt extremely expensive?
Old 23rd December, 2005, 05:46 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Are you planning on running the 64bit system in 64bit mode, or in 32bit mode? If you want to be fully 64bit, then you need the x86-64 version of Windows XP Pro too. Personally, I'd suggest against going to the 64bit OS just now, as there's still some issues with compatibility with some 32bit apps.

The 64bit systems will run quite happily in 32bit mode, although you won't be taking full advantage of them - think of it as future upgradability!

What kind of applications do you intend to run on the system?
Old 23rd December, 2005, 05:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to djXternal Send a message via MSN to djXternal Send a message via Yahoo to djXternal

I was hoping for this system to double as a small media center for my apartment, sicne ill be moving soon and low on cash... Mainly just the dvd portion, then of course the normal apps, internet explorer, oh and gaming as well

and i will deff be ocing this machine as well

I really have to preference as of right now about true 64bit os, Most of my programs I guess are 32bit, so there is no real need to go true 64bit yet
Old 23rd December, 2005, 10:40 PM

If your only gaming, CPU choice is irrelevant. Unless your playing extremely CPU intensive games like Rome:Total War, choice of CPU makes absolutely no difference of framerates(minimally) and your money is better spent on a graphics card.

For example, a FX57 with SLI 7800GTXs may only gain an extra 0-2FPS over an Athlon 64 3000 with the same graphics cards.
Socket 939 Opterons are simply the best overclockers ever. A £95 Opteron equivalent out of the box to an Athlon 64 3000 can overclock fast enough to rival the high end £600 CPUs.
The best PCI-E GFX card (I'm guessing your pricing is about £150) would be one of the new 6800GS cards or an X800GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th December, 2005, 01:28 AM

yea overclocking is the main idea behind building this machine, as my other machine will be a laptop

And thanks for the help on the graphics cards