AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st January, 2006, 08:46 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Exclamation Venice you are killing me....

Soooooooooooo boyz and girlies I just meet Santa and he gave me one Venice 3200. I borrowed one MSI K8N Neo2-FX until my epox board arrives and there is no way I can up the FSB without loosing the stability. What the hell is wrong? I need to mention that I have little experience when it comes to A64 field. Any comments will be appreciated...well...almost all...
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st January, 2006, 09:01 PM
AOA Staff

There is no FSB, it's known as HTT on A64's.

First off, what HTT multi are you using? (Not CPU multi)
Old 1st January, 2006, 09:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

WARNING! This is a VERY different beast, let Danrok take you by the hand and lead you through it...saves on those bumps to the forehead.":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st January, 2006, 10:02 PM
Benchmarker

This is what I have now as default !
Attached Thumbnails
Venice you are killing me....-939.jpg  
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 1st January, 2006, 10:06 PM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
There is no FSB, it's known as HTT on A64's.

First off, what HTT multi are you using? (Not CPU multi)
4x (the board is based on NF3 250GB chip)
there is no 5x
HTT is 2x800 = 1600 and some progs report that it can go up to 2x1000=2000

Old 1st January, 2006, 11:05 PM
AOA Staff

Surely you will fry it at 1600Mhz?

Mine is something like 4 x 250Mhz.

EDIT: My HTT is 5 x 210MHz.

I can't see that your HTT could be at 1.6 GHz.

Last edited by danrok; 1st January, 2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 1st January, 2006, 11:14 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

You'll need decent memory. The Geil stick that I had in mine was killing me. Took it out and now it clocks higher.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 1st January, 2006, 11:16 PM
AOA Staff

Doesn't your CPU have a 11x multiplier?
Old 2nd January, 2006, 12:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

No the 3200+ is default 10*200 for 2Ghz. I think i know what he means when he said 1600Mhz. nForce4 boards have a max HTT of 2000Mhz, which I think is full duplex from 200HTT*5(HTT multiplier). His max HTT is 1600, full duplex, 'cause he's running an nForce 3 250 board. So his max HTT multiplier is 4x*200HTT, which yeilds 800 and then full duplex yeild 1600Mhz if I'm not mistaken, which is normal.

So, when you try and OC, Chris, make sure you drop that HTT multi to 3x to avoid going over 1600Mhz HTT (full duplex).

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 2nd January, 2006, 09:58 AM
Benchmarker

I have droped the HT ratio to 3 and now I have 3x220x2 = 1360
Proc is running 220*10 = 2200 Mhz

I had no problems and I will test it further.

One Q 4 U guys:

The Venice runs at 1.36 V / 28 C and I want to know where can I take it in case I would need a little extra voltage 4 stability.
Also how much more can I add to for memory?

Thanks a lot guys for the advices !!!

Old 2nd January, 2006, 10:58 AM
Benchmarker

Question

I have installed Windows 64 bit and with Sisoft Sandra 64 bit I got nicer results as with 32 bit versions of XP and Sisoft ! I am wondering if there are any games that would benefit from Win64bit version (made 4 64 bit)??? I have installed Chronicles of Riddick on XP Prof and this game takes advantage of A64 but in the readme it only talkes about win xp and nothing about 64 bit ed. I guess the game was out before 64 bit hit the market.

Old 2nd January, 2006, 11:10 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

On stock cooling try and keep voltage beow 1.6v, you should be able to get upto about 2600mhz with little problems with a decent psu.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd January, 2006, 03:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

64 Bit Windows is still really buggy. I know Steam is now 64 Bit and I think Far Cry is as well. I think it'd be better to just go back to 32 Bit Windows until Vista is around or 64 Bit Windows is improved.

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 2nd January, 2006, 04:31 PM
Benchmarker

Thumbs down YAY my tvtuner isn't working !

Yeap in Win64 isn't working until I find some drivers (if they exists)! Leadtek $uck$ big time !!!

Old 2nd January, 2006, 05:15 PM
AOA Staff

I looked for TV Tuner drivers for ages and gave up.
Old 2nd January, 2006, 05:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Don't even try to up the HTT much higher without killer memory. Keep in mind most DDR maxes out at 220 or so. Run asynch, 5/6 and you should easily get 2.3-2.4 ghz even with stock voltage. Run memtest... your memory will top out well before your CPU does.

Both of my venice cores did 2.3g with stock voltage.
Old 2nd January, 2006, 06:23 PM
Benchmarker

I am keeping the mem at 166 manually that means it'll go up not much. Mines are indeed failing at more than 220. I am changing my memory too so what mem should I buy? Some DDR 3500 would be good?

Old 2nd January, 2006, 06:41 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

It depends... If you are a big believer in running in synch... the faster the bester. Remember PC3500 is only 217mhz. You may not get any boost at all.

Honestly, I'm happy running asynch, one of my A64s is at 2.5g, running memory at 180mhz... the other is 2.45ghz w/ mem at about 225 or so.

If you want a hope of running synch, you're looking at memory that can do 270-300mhz, not easy with DDR. I'm looking forward to DDR2 onA64 where 300mhz memory is feasible.
Old 2nd January, 2006, 06:47 PM
Member/Contributer/WCG TEAM CAPTAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile69
64 Bit Windows is still really buggy.

I've been running it for about the last 3 months without too many problems.
Old 2nd January, 2006, 07:01 PM
AOA Staff

More a case of buggy drivers?

Some will have more luck depending on what hardware you have.