AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd March, 2006, 07:11 AM

Question Help I'm Drowning

Hi fellow Overclockers. Tomorrow I assemble my first computer. It is going to be a Gigabyte 81915pl-g socket 775 with an Intel 64 Bit 641 3.2 gig CPU. I was hoping to find out when MS will have XP 64 on the market (bug free) in retail stores.
It looks like I'm in over my head, especialy this being my first computer. I am going to load XP Pro on it when it is assembled. Will I see any performance over a 32 bit chip, using XP Pro 32bit OS with this 641 64 bit chip?
I also noticed on the CPU packaging from Intel that this 3.2 gig 641 is called a "Cedar Mill". What is the difference between Cedar Mill,and Prescott, and what other names does Intel use? This is all new and covert to me. I would really appreciate any input I can get on this project of mine. I've spent a fortune on the parts, and have already had to send back the CPU for a new one, and if that doesn't cure it, I will have to exchange motherboards. I'm getting off to a good start, huh?

thanks,

refusenik: confused:
WD Caviar SATA-150/120GB
Plextor PX-716SA DVD
XFX 6600 256MB
Thermaltake Swing Case
CoolerMaster Hyper 48
Thermaltake TR2-550W PSU
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2006, 07:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A belated welcome to AOA, Refusenik!

64-Bit Athlon 64's have no problem running a 32-Bit OS. Sorry, I don't know if Intel's 64-Bit processors have no problem with a 32-Bit operating system. They shouldn't, but Intel gets weird about things like this sometimes.
Old 1st April, 2006, 07:17 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Intel's 64bit P4 chips will all run XP Pro 32bit totally fine, no need to worry! There won't be any prformance difference between your chip and another that does not have 64bit capabilites, however, as the computer will be running in 32bit mode

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2006, 07:34 PM
AOA Staff

A 64-bit chip is want you want regardless of the lack of any real benefit today.

64-bit Windows is called Vista. It is now delayed and it will be early 2007 before we see the consumer version. It is likely to be crap anyhow, so no great loss.
Old 2nd April, 2006, 07:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

"It is likely to be crap anyhow, so no great loss."

You might be able to sell that to MS as promotional advertizing, But it's just so much better than the actuall product is likely to deserve! ":O}!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 2nd April, 2006, 08:26 PM

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=207512

There isn't a retail package yet, I don't think, but if you buy something like a cheap CD Drive for £10 this is perfectly legal.
I know someone who's been using Vista, they say it's actually rather good. I'm going to wait until I've used it before I decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]

Old 2nd April, 2006, 09:11 PM
AOA Staff

I think you'll find your mate has the beta version of Vista. The full blown version will be fully fattened up with stuff we definately don't want like DRM.

DRM probably sucks more than anything previously encountered in this universe.
Old 2nd April, 2006, 10:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Drm?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 2nd April, 2006, 10:08 PM
AOA's resident barman

Send a message via ICQ to Favu Send a message via AIM to Favu Send a message via MSN to Favu

Digital Rights Management.

In other words, you are only allowed a certain number of copies of any file and can only play it back in certain ways, that our benefact- ... the record companies have allowed, in their wisdom....

Custom 8-bit Sharp Z80 @ 4.194304 MHz
Reflective LCD @ 160 × 144
8 kByte S-RAM

Old 5th April, 2006, 08:32 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

In other words screw use over more and still they expect the same if not more money.....
Old 5th April, 2006, 11:59 AM

Hey Guys,

I stepped back and built a 3.0GHz Intel on an Asus P5GPL-X mobo w/ an XFX 6600LE video card. The CPU fan ( Hyper 48) and case (Swing) were Thermaltake. I can't say enough good stuff about Thermaltake. They make high quality equipment.
My machine is purring right along now, but in Jan. I'm going back up to a 631 64 bit Intel, or higher, and use a 64 bit O/S. If Vista has DRM in it, I will run something else. I am a semi-pro musician, and still hate DRM and restrictive laws about listening to music. I hope to put my CD on the net for free!
WD Caviar SATA-150/120GB
Plextor PX-716SA DVD
XFX 6600 256MB
Thermaltake Swing Case
CoolerMaster Hyper 48
Thermaltake TR2-550W PSU
Old 5th April, 2006, 07:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Makes me wish I was more into political violence! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 5th April, 2006, 07:31 PM
AOA Staff

So far, DRM has allowed a back-door for your computer to become compromised. If you remember the recent Sony/DRM saga.

That's my main concern.
Old 5th April, 2006, 07:38 PM

The only thing Im wondering is - what support will remain for current XP - i.e. I dont care about Halo 2, I am perfectly happy to remain using 32bit Win XP - but if it limits my future software use I may be forced to: I guess dual boot - or run two independent system (ouch the expense). (????)
Old 5th April, 2006, 07:45 PM
AOA Staff

I suspect it will be a long time before XP is no longer useable.

Small businesses often take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. So, many businesses will just stick with what they have until they see a very good reason to upgrade. Why spend money on something you don't need?

We can live in hope that MS is taking extra time to ensure that this DRM doesn't screw things up. In any case, I won't be rushing out to upgrade unless it is something mind blowing.

If they make a mess of it, I will avoid upgrading ever again. Perhaps, get a PS3 for games instead and keep the PC for work realted stuff. It does everything I need it to do already, as far as work goes.
Old 8th April, 2006, 07:06 AM

Wouldn't worry about trying to use XP Pro X64. At this point in time, there just aren't enough apps available that run as 64bit to justify the cost. And 32bit apps do run under 64bit windows, however x64 uses an emulator to run them.

Had use of x64RC2 for a year, and found it to be a stable OS even though it was the final beta. About the only problems I ran in to, were finding a driver for my printer and dropped connections with my wireless router.

asrock939dualie/3000winnie@230x9/2x512 Patriot ddr400ELK/Enermax Coolergiant 480/9600pro
Old 21st April, 2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
I think you'll find your mate has the beta version of Vista. The full blown version will be fully fattened up with stuff we definately don't want like DRM.

DRM probably sucks more than anything previously encountered in this universe.
Yeah - Beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]