AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.60 average.
Old 7th October, 2014, 02:10 AM

I've mixed reactions to Matthew McConaughey, but I think it's mostly due to the roles he plays. My first acquaintance was "Contact"(1997) with Jodie Foster. I basically despised his opportunistic "religiosity" platform character, but that doesn't mean it wasn't very well played. That was also my first exposure to William Fichtner, an excellent character actor!

I also had misgivings about him in "U-571"(2008), but I think that was heavily impacted by what appears a theft of glory from a true Royal Fleet accomplishment. Many might suppose the film reflected an actual U.S. success in WWII -- not at all (other WWII allies made valuable contributions, but the U.S. was not among them)! On the other hand, the interior recreation of a German U-Boat and U-Boat operational procedures were superb. Further, submarine adventures are rare anymore, and "U-571" is a decent seagoing adventure! IMO, better late examples are "The Hunt For Red October"(1990), "Crimson Tide"(1995), and I also happen to be a fan of "K-19: The Widowmaker"(2002).

McConaughey provides a pitch perfect portrayal in "Reign Of Fire"(2002). His portrayal is borderline psychotic, barely held in check by the "bounds" of "civilized" society. That film will always be special, my first exposure to Christian Bale and one rip-roaring tale!

I understand "Mud"(2012) is good, and also have some others with McConaughey I want to check out ("Killer Joe"(2008), "The Lincoln Lawyer"(2011), "The Wolf Of Wall Street"(2013)), but not having seen them yet, can't say anything. I fear his characters may tend to fall into my "like to hate" bin. But that doesn't imply poor acting, perhaps just the opposite? Though frankly, "Sahara"(2005) is, for me, a complete throw away -- never liked it.

PS. A couple long term film favorites are "Virtuosity"(1995) w/ Denzel Washington and "Strange Days"(1995) w/ Ralph Fiennes.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 7th October, 2014 at 04:09 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th October, 2014, 12:00 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I have "Strange Days" on tap at Netflix, Ralph Fiennes is a great actor, I enjoyed his performance in "The Grand Budapest Hotel" recently. One could say that the film is an exersize in silliness, but it's very amusing. No SF included therein sorry, just great fiction.

The only fascist submarine epic I've seen, after putting it off for at least thirty years ist "Das Boot," "boot" pronounced "boat" in German. And the US Navy called their WWII subs "pig boats." They had no idea! Having to move all of the crew forward to dive the damned thing, now that's luxury!
I liked "..Red October" a lot, but that's probably because Sean Connery is nearly always great. I saw "K-19: The Widowmaker" quite recently, what a funtastic cruise that was. Glad I missed it!

I found "Mud" detestable, simply too damned "aw shucks" good ole boy southern for my taste. Sorry, I sincerely dislike the South, or more precisely, the people who run it. I knew two guys from the South in the army who were great people, but sadly, that doesn't redeem the place.
It's quite possible that Mr McConnohay(why bother to spell it right?) is a person I'll always LOVE to hate, but I can't sit still and watch him on a screen. Ugh!

Saw "The Fault in Our Stars" the other night. Shailene Woodley is a good deal better than in "Divergent," but I doubt she'll become a "star." Be warned, it's a big tear jerker. I still recommend The Book Thief, but I read the book and lived in a similar environment for a year(not Nazi Germany, whew!) so it grabs me.
Old 9th October, 2014, 01:59 AM

"Das Boot"(1981) is an absolute classic, extremely realistically done, which makes the mainstream "Perfect Storm"(2000) that much more a disappointment -- though I overall still like it (in part due to the presence of Diane Lane, a personal favorite, blame "Streets Of Fire"(1984)). Just wish they'd eliminated the damn "mood" music, that was one of the refreshing differences with "Das Boot"! Imagine "Run Silent, Run Deep"(1958) overlayed with over-riding mood music -- aaargh! In those days, they settled for accents, not "mood"!

Thinking of hotels, perhaps you'd like the much more serious "Hotel Rwanda"(2002) w/ Don Cheadle. Challenging race related possibilities are "White Man's Burden"(1995) w/ John Travolta and "A Family Thing"(1996) w/ Robert Duvall.

Another film I find interesting is "The Purge"(2013).

PS. Thinking of the South -- have you viewed "Southern Comfort"(1981) w/ Powers Boothe? Also "A Soldier's Story"(1984) w/ Denzel Washington.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 10th October, 2014 at 06:56 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th October, 2014, 11:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Must agree that Diane Lane is indeed yummy. "The Perfect Storm" was rather wretched as I remember it, but it's been years. The story of Rwanda in modern history is extremely upsetting, 'fraid that a movie commemorating such is not on my list.

"The Purge" is confusing on imdb, many of them, and a lot are listed as "shorts."

Haven't seen "Southern Comfort," it's very true that Powers Boothe can play powerful roles extremely well, again I suggest
"Sin City," it's a must see. "A Soldier's Story" was pretty good, thankfully Denzel Washington isn't fabulous in every part he ever played--glad that he's human after all. Oops, already saw "Strange Days." Mr Fiennes plays a detestable character very well, no need to detest him again.

The new "Cosmos" series is good, but it lacks the punch of the original. I'd suggest watching it--but not buying it. I have to readjust my opinion of "The Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2." The guy playing the lead, Andrew Garfield is truly a bad actor, he must be barred from the screen--for life. Emma Stone really shines in Number 2, I'll love her cute little self forever. Sigh, it's ALWAYS something!
Old 11th October, 2014, 09:16 AM

Please excuse a momentary departure from topic, I just can't help it.

I celebrate the bravery and intentionality of a very young Pakistani girl who was shot in the head by the Taliban -- Malala Yousafzai! She has been co-awarded the Nobel peace Prize -- bless her brave heart! May the world even begin to support the values she presents, the education of young women and the contribution they may make to our world both in its parts and its whole! Many blessings to you Malala, may God protect!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 11th October, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11th October, 2014, 10:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'll join that departure, what a courageous and exceptionally worthwhile young woman she is! If I had a quarter of her courage it'd be an improvement. The truth, the pain of admission, will it ever sting less?
Old 13th October, 2014, 07:07 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
"Reign of Fire" has promise, Christian Bale is nearly always good. But Matthew McConaughey, nnooo.
Matthew McConaughey gets eaten. Just sayin'

Last edited by Gizmo; 13th October, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 13th October, 2014, 07:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Watched "Mimic" and "This is Spinal Tap" last night. "Mimic" is truly scary and it's always a breath of fresh breeze to see Mira Sorvino on the screen. She's highly magnetic, but doesn't try to be. Certified babe, or what?

"This is Spinal Tap" blows chunks, Harry Shearer is great but seeing Rob Reiner on screen nearly always pains my eyes. Maybe it was more amusing in 1984? Hope so.

I recommend Captain America The Winter Soldier, I guess I'm a sucker for "against the empire." The lack of wall to wall special effects is very refreshing, too. Thumb's up!
"Mimic" was good, and I enjoyed Winter Soldier.
Old 13th October, 2014, 07:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
I've mixed reactions to Matthew McConaughey, but I think it's mostly due to the roles he plays. My first acquaintance was "Contact"(1997) with Jodie Foster. I basically despised his opportunistic "religiosity" platform character, but that doesn't mean it wasn't very well played.
The byplay between him and Foster was really well handled, I thought. It was also my first exposure to him.

Quote:
I also had misgivings about him in "U-571"(2008), but I think that was heavily impacted by what appears a theft of glory from a true Royal Fleet accomplishment. Many might suppose the film reflected an actual U.S. success in WWII -- not at all (other WWII allies made valuable contributions, but the U.S. was not among them)!
I didn't take that way at all: the film even made mention that it was an attempt to honor ALL of those who made sacrifices to capture the enigma. Then again, I'm also aware of some of the actual history behind the capturing of the enigma. The film featured an American cast because it was intended for an American audience. But, now that you mention it, I can certainly see how it would be taken as you obviously did.

Quote:
On the other hand, the interior recreation of a German U-Boat and U-Boat operational procedures were superb. Further, submarine adventures are rare anymore, and "U-571" is a decent seagoing adventure! IMO, better late examples are "The Hunt For Red October"(1990), "Crimson Tide"(1995), and I also happen to be a fan of "K-19: The Widowmaker"(2002).
Red October and Crimson Tide both are eminently enjoyable. Wasn't so much a fan of The Widowmaker. I felt like Harrison Ford gave a very wooden performance in that one.

Quote:
McConaughey provides a pitch perfect portrayal in "Reign Of Fire"(2002). His portrayal is borderline psychotic, barely held in check by the "bounds" of "civilized" society.
Yeah, he really plays the role well, IMO. The part where he gets eaten has got to be my favorite scene.

Quote:
PS. A couple long term film favorites are "Virtuosity"(1995) w/ Denzel Washington and "Strange Days"(1995) w/ Ralph Fiennes.
Haven't seen 'Strange Days' but 'Virtuosity' is one I keep on my shelf. Russel Crowe turns in IMO a very good performance in this one. Virtuosity seems like it should appeal mostly to the geek crowd. Because of that I think it is very underrated; it's just a very good story, even without the tech angle.

Last edited by Gizmo; 13th October, 2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 15th October, 2014, 12:36 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Jodie Foster is one gutsy actor, I really like her in all of her flicks that I've seen.
I have to agree, Mr Ford plays an excellent ever so slightly animated block of wood in "...Widowmaker." Guess he was po'd about the cold? Assuming that he really had to deal with it, of course.

I'd LOVE to see Mister Mconahay eaten slowly and painfully, too bad I couldn't sit there and wait for it to happen.
"Virtuosity" in in my queue at Netflix, here's hoping that I like it.

Watched the new "Carrie" recently. It moves along better that the original, but Sissy Spacek is too awesome an actress for Chloe Grace Moritz to out shine. Ms Moritz is damn good, and cute as a bug, too. Really quite good enough to spend ~90 minutes with.
Old 15th October, 2014, 11:07 AM

A few words of support for Harrison Ford's portrayal of a communist bureau naval apparatchik, as in enforcer, in "Widowmaker". The people sensitive role was taken up by Liam Neason (who did very well), Ford had the job of being the entirely insensitive over-ruler of all his better instincts as an experienced naval officer -- his obligation was party justification/gratification and dictated result! Given the ugly reality of his party dictated role, It's not at all clear to me how his performance should have been modified to create a different presentation. His specific job was to get this clearly unready crew and boat into trials and prove the party correct! His character knew fully well that both boat and crew were unready and the whole thing was pure gamble -- for his life as well as everyone else's.

To me, Ford had a very difficult character assignment and for me, he played it believably. It may well be a better portrayal was possible, but given the constraints, I don't think he did badly. I see the perceived "woodiness" as a part of the unbending and unsympathetic character he assumed to fulfill the role. His characters' only chance of success was via utter crew discipline, there was no room for softness! And that's what I saw in his portrayal. As the catastrophes took hold towards the end, I saw a grudging degree of mollification/acceptance in his portrayal -- clearly very difficult for him (the probable end of his career), this being unavoidably urged by events (including actions/sacrifices of crew members and the first officer (Liam)). Ford's character was inherently conflicted and his external presentation in his party controlled role occurred as believable to me. However, I'm fully aware "K-19" received plenty of critical abuse. That's why I mentioned the title the way I did, not as being unqualified.

(...and I also happen to be a fan of "K-19: The Widowmaker"(2002))
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 16th October, 2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 15th October, 2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Jodie Foster is one gutsy actor, I really like her in all of her flicks that I've seen.
I have to agree, Mr Ford plays an excellent ever so slightly animated block of wood in "...Widowmaker." Guess he was po'd about the cold? Assuming that he really had to deal with it, of course.

I'd LOVE to see Mister Mconahay eaten slowly and painfully, too bad I couldn't sit there and wait for it to happen.
"Virtuosity" in in my queue at Netflix, here's hoping that I like it.

Watched the new "Carrie" recently. It moves along better that the original, but Sissy Spacek is too awesome an actress for Chloe Grace Moritz to out shine. Ms Moritz is damn good, and cute as a bug, too. Really quite good enough to spend ~90 minutes with.
Think I'd describe Matthew's character's demise more as being roasted in flight. If you're familiar with "Dungeons & Dragons", his resemblance to a malignant Dwarf was to me striking ! A shame you're so resistant to viewing the film -- might well enjoy it!

A new "Carrie", oh dear, the original was so prime and introduced so many up and coming actors/actresses (Travolta for one). Still, I'll have to take a look, though I can't imagine any "update" film setting aside Sissy Spaceck -- BTW: did you check out "Prime Cut" !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 15th October, 2014, 07:54 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

He was roasted in flight? Sigh, he got off far too easily.
Yes, you are right about the difficulty of Mr Ford's character in "..Widowmaker." Commissars were impossible people, not loved by anyone.

"Carrie" will always be a difficult story to put on film, what can I tell you? I like attractive younger women.

I haven't seen "Prime Cut," dunno if I will, the story line is grim as hell. Is there a worse movie than "Howard the Duck?" what a stinker!
Old 16th October, 2014, 05:06 AM

Thinking of when McConaughey was "roasted in flight", he was hefting an axe and had thrown himself into the air in attack of his arch enemy -- perfect image of a "Dungeons & Dragons" dwarf! If you deny yourself this film, it's only yourself you have to blame ! I won't mention it again.

Thinking of "Dangerous Days", the draw for me was the combination of plot line and actors Angela Bassett, Juliette Lewis, and Tom Sizemore, a very clever and imaginative film -- well acted!

I'm not recommending "Prime Cut", but I understand it was Spaceck's first film and I can attest her presence/performance being very attention getting! This is above average fodder for late night theater and definitely exploitative! (Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman are a lot of fun, guess they were slumming!)

You've raised my curiosity regarding "Howard The Duck"(1986), will check it out! (PS. I understand Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space"(1959) may be the world's greatest stinker, though haven't yet watched it -- intend to.)
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 16th October, 2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 16th October, 2014, 11:44 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"Howard the Duck" fails extraordinarily well at being "hip." It's terrible, watch only if you "need" to see a baaadd film to mark the day. Or something like that. Sorry, short on time today.
Old 31st October, 2014, 07:41 AM

Have a copy of "Howard The Duck" and plan to watch it shortly, will be back in touch regarding same ! Am interested in any further thoughts you might have regarding "Dangerous Days" (and/or if you happen to watch "Reign Of Fire".) Still, if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 1st November, 2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Have a copy of "Howard The Duck" and plan to watch it shortly, will be back in touch regarding same ! Am interested in any further thoughts you might have regarding "Dangerous Days" (and/or if you happen to watch "Reign Of Fire".) Still, if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you.
Just watched "Howard the Duck" and guess it didn't register with me the way it did with you. I found it a sympathetic viewing until the introduction of the "Dark Overlord" (clearly a Lucas conceit), but I feel it recovered and overall provided a satisfactory viewing experience. Of course, I happen to like both Lea Thompson (Back To The Future(1985)) and Tim Robbins (Jacob's Ladder(1990).) To be sure, not a great, but still, on the whole, not bad -- plenty of nice touches. But hey, there's no accounting for individual taste!

Gotta check out "Plan 9 for Outer Space" !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 1st November, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 2nd November, 2014, 12:21 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I really like Lea Thompson and Tim Robbins, don't know why they didn't redeem the flick for me. Yet I've seen the movie twice and still found it a shining example of BAD. It's always something!
Plan 9 For Outer Space rates a 3.9 from imdb, so maybe it's bad enough to be good?
I've really fallen behind on my film watching duties lately, silly me, I'm probably trying to make my time profitable. Good luck with that, to me!
Old 2nd November, 2014, 08:23 AM

Well, I wouldn't consider it one of Tim Robbins finer opportunities, more entry level, but I do think Lea did a fine job, probably under-rated! However, I continue to suggest "The Purge"(2013). It's of little import how many films/shorts appear with that name, my specific purpose in specifying the year is to narrow it down! It's an interesting film! Still, once again, that's a personal opinion!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 2nd November, 2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 2nd November, 2014, 10:47 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"The Purge" with Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey? It rates 5.5, not sure I'm in a hurry to watch it.
Can't remember your opinion of "Rango." According to imdb, if I like "Rango" I should also like "Megamind" and "The Adventures of Tin-Tin." I didn't.