AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.60 average.
Old 3rd November, 2014, 02:10 AM

You're far too demanding of those squirrely IMDB ratings. Don't know Rango, but I'll check it out!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd November, 2014, 11:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Johnny Depp voices the lead character. The art work in "Rango" struck me as superb. I liked it a lot, as always ymmv.
Since Roger Ebert left us I don't really know whose opinion is "gold" anymore. Watched "Lincoln" last night, it was great to see so many actors that I like even though I didn't know who many of them represented. History is a wide subject. Be well!
G
Old 4th November, 2014, 05:43 AM

"Lincoln"(2012) is very highly regarded from what I read and I have it in my "stack " ! My concern with IMDB ratings is they represent anybody and everybody, but not necessarily you/me! The individual evaluations can be useful, but to settle for the numeric average can easily shortchange a perfectly reasonable and perhaps enjoyable film. There's many a review on IMDB I totally disagree with, and many I moderately disagree with, and so why would I use their rating as my guide? Well, to be sure, I first check the rating as an indicator, but then I peruse the "reviews" and make my own decisions.

I don't expect every film I watch to be great, but I'm always hopeful of it at least being interesting (hopefully entertaining) and perhaps even thought provoking. The very first "The Purge"(2013) review says it's not thought provoking, I totally disagree. That for the reviews on IMDB and their associated ratings! Frankly, I didn't always agree with Roger Ebert either, he was just one voice! Films are personal, what others think is entirely variable and not necessarily germane to your own impressions.

PS. My favorite animation film continues to be "Antz"(1998).
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 4th November, 2014 at 05:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th November, 2014, 07:38 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's nice to find a reliable critic, because there isn't time to sit through the fifteen or so movies that are released daily. Roger Ebert fulfilled that role for me. No, he wasn't perfect but he was awfully close, for me at any rate.
I sincerely wish that I hadn't become so anti Woody Allen years ago. He still writes and directs brilliantly, but his ultra neurotic characters were too much to bear. They probably struck much too close to home for comfort, to be painfully honest. I remember a clip of "Antz", I thought the animation was modernly dreadful. Animation has to be very high quality for me to approve it.

Saw "Incendies" last night. Holy freakin' frijoles, can't remember a more surprisingly GRIM plot.
Old 6th November, 2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
I sincerely wish that I hadn't become so anti Woody Allen years ago. He still writes and directs brilliantly, but his ultra neurotic characters were too much to bear. They probably struck much too close to home for comfort, to be painfully honest. I remember a clip of "Antz", I thought the animation was modernly dreadful. Animation has to be very high quality for me to approve it.

Saw "Incendies" last night. Holy freakin' frijoles, can't remember a more surprisingly GRIM plot.
Yikes, I'd hate to learn your evaluation of "Fantasia"(1940), "101 Dalmations"(1966), "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"(1988), "Toy Story" and "Ghost In The Shell"(1995), "Titan A.E."(2000), "Robots"(2005), let alone Looney Tunes and Manga in general! You're clearly a challenging person to please !

I plan to check out "Incendies", RT rated it highly ! (Though not at all clear it's a story line that'll appeal to me.)
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 6th November, 2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 6th November, 2014, 11:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Hmm, I don't think that my standards for animation are that insane. I loved "Fantasia" as a kid and a teenager. Today I find the plot too obvious a salutation to "alles in gut ordnung," another Disney worship of things Nazi.
"101 Dalmations" was great as a child, I wouldn't revisit it as an adult.
I really loved "... Roger Rabbit," yet the last ten minutes or so couldn't be watched because it brought on real motion sickness (I saw it in a theater).

I missed "Ghost in the Shell" and "Titan AE" and "Robots." I loved Looney Tunes as much as the next person, Mel Blanc is god. I've mixed feelings about "Toy Story," I don't remember it fondly. I bought "My Neighbor Totoro" liked it a lot and have enjoyed other manga.

I won't spoil "Incendies" other than to say it is truly shocking, but you must watch all of it.
Old 13th November, 2014, 10:58 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Watched a few I hadn't seen before recently. A French film "I've Loved You for So Long" is carried very strongly by Kristen Scott Thomas who appears to speak perfect French. Some Brits really do, but don't ask them to handle Spanish! I suppose it leans a into being a chick flick, but they are half of the ruling bipeds. Some folks can't stand subtitles, I don't mind them sometimes, it depends on the original language.

I never saw "The Color Purple" until Tues night. After 25 minutes I had to bail out, my word what an upsetting film! I don't need to be reacquainted with the evil side of humans. The goodness of the young female characters doesn't assuage the horror of the older male ones.

"The Chronicles of Riddick" can't be placed among the good ones. Vin Diesel (an admirable screen name!) is so bad that he's comic relief on very rare occasions, ymmv.

I found "Radio Days" very good indeed. I may have seen it long ago, but I don't think so. Dianne Wiest was captivating and Mia Farrow commendably able. Julie Kavner was very funny, congrats.
Old 14th November, 2014, 07:28 AM

"Incendies"(2010) was a hard watch and will be weighing on me awhile! The video file I viewed was hindered by a dubious English subtitle translation and I spent two hours plus cleaning it up, but even so, it was/is a powerful treatment of something that I believe is, and has been, a very terrible experience for many real human beings ! The film maker depicted something that's both real and horrible!

I'm not a fan of "Chick Flicks", though I'm not clear that's the fault of anyone other than myself. We all have our biases!

I thoroughly enjoy "Pitch Black"(2000), but I felt that "The Chronicles of Riddick"(2004) fell a bit shy of what could have been, but still, OK! I've yet to watch "Riddick"(2013) but can't say I'd approach it with a lot of optimism. I thoroughly enjoy "The Fast and The Furious" (the original), but am inclined to disregard the sequels. My view is that the follow ups disregard the human values of the original, and it's the human values I most value in any film!

PS. I've only viewed "The Color Purple"(1985) once and am in no hurry to revisit, but that's no fault of the film. It's a superlative effort and is highly valuable in depicting our racial past. I only wish it truly was the "past", unfortunately, that's not clear !
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 14th November, 2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 14th November, 2014, 11:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If you can "clear up" the subtitles for French and Arabic you're a better man than I am! The film wasn't an easy viewing experience by any stretch of the imagination because of less than perfect pacing and it seemed to go on and on, yet the ending sure brought the story into sharp focus. Whew!

The good "chick flicks" are all about human values, but the dreck ones bite hard on the male ego for less than clear purpose. That the downtrodden half of the human race needs to crow ascendant sometimes is crystal clear. With them or without them both difficult choices.

Do you mean the original black and white 1955 "The Fast and the Furious?" Saw it for the first time recently, it's not a terrible film. Imdb rates it 5.3, I thought a 5.8 was closer. The few (one?) modern ones I've seen rated poorly, imho.

I doubt I'd watch any more Vin Diesel efforts because "The Chronicles..." showcased his laughable talents, bringing a few laughs from me. Christina Cox was yummy enough, but not Oscar material. Dame Judi Dench obviously needed the money, it was a pleasant surprise to see her in the movie.

It greatly upsets me that as a country we are firmly headed back into our more racist past. And back into (inverted) totalitarianism, gross inequality and downright inescapable feudalism. Americans are madly in love with punishment and too ignorant or not smart enough to understand that it means their collective punishment. IMHO, of course.
Old 15th November, 2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
If you can "clear up" the subtitles for French and Arabic you're a better man than I am! The film wasn't an easy viewing experience by any stretch of the imagination because of less than perfect pacing and it seemed to go on and on, yet the ending sure brought the story into sharp focus. Whew!
The provided subtitle file was a hearing impaired disaster. The two part file I separately downloaded was probably competently translated, but there were many errors in English word usage that made portions distracting. I just "completed" the translation (plus touched up some timing). Don't know if I'll watch it again, but the English subtitles may now be the best around !
Quote:
Do you mean the original black and white 1955 "The Fast and the Furious?" Saw it for the first time recently, it's not a terrible film. Imdb rates it 5.3, I thought a 5.8 was closer. The few (one?) modern ones I've seen rated poorly, imho.
Haven't watched that one but will. I was thinking of the Vin Diesel version from 2001, I enjoy it very much, unlike the sequels I've seen. I find "Chronicles..." entirely watchable, though kinda clunky at times, whereas I consider "Pitch Black"(2000) excellent. Another Diesel film I like is "Knockaround Guys"(2001). For that matter, "Boiler Room"(2000) is pretty good. I plan to checkout "The Strays"(1997).
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 15th November, 2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 17th November, 2014, 12:48 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ah, so Netflix provided a good subtitles in the version of "Incendies" they provided by mail. That's good to know.

Saw "Double Indemnity" last night, for the first time. I shy away from Fred MacMurray as a rule, his myriad roles as the ultimate good guy hurt my teeth, so I avoid him. However, this is a great movie! I'm learning that Barbara Stanwyck is a far finer actor than I realized. It's credited as the first Noir film, Billy Wilder may have saved Hollywood by creating such a desperately needed new genre. Happy, Happy, Happy Hollywood movies by the thousands make me vomit with diabetic inability to digest any more Shirley Temple dimples and curls. Yes, the Depression made them create manicly/maniacally happy films by the hundred weight but they seriously damage my sensibilities and have for decades. "Double Indemnity" is well worth the effort if you haven't seen it, grab it.

I have to find my copy of "The Big Sleep," dang it!

Saw "Nebraska" recently. Yuck! The use of black and white was a dead giveaway. It shouted "NOTHING special to see here, sucker!" Bruce Dern as his ancient irascible self is vomit worthy. A picture to avoid, imho.
Old 18th November, 2014, 01:32 AM

Watched "Rango", but can't say it worked well for me. I found it kinda drawn out, sort of like Depp's "The Lone Ranger"(2013) (which I like, mostly thanks to Depp's idiosyncratic character/performance), and "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug"(2013) (stretched to the max). Plenty of good moments, but much felt contrived for running time to me -- perhaps I was just in the wrong mood?

I always liked Fred MacMurray: "The Shaggy Dog"(1959), "The Absentminded Professor"(1961), "The Caine Mutiny"(1954). Seems he had some westerns and other war films way back -- he didn't do only comedy, though I think he was good at it. I remember "The Apartment"(1960) being pretty good, 'course, I'm a fan of Shirley MacLaine, loved her in "Two Mules For Sister Sara"(1970) !

Have "Double Indemnity"(1944) on tap, will check it out soon. Also planning to check out "How To Train Your Dragon"(2010) and will eventually get to "Nebraska"(2014). B&W is usually just fine with me, examples being "From Here To Eternity"(1953), "Paths Of Glory"(1957), "The 400 Blows"(1959), "Schindler's List"(1993), and "Letters From Iwo Jima"(2006), even "Pleasantville"(1998) has very nice quality B&W photography. B&W can be much more powerful than color, greater richness of detail and shading (combination of film stock, camera, technique, and the eye being much more sensitive to shades of grey than color.)
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 19th November, 2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 18th November, 2014, 11:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Sorry that you didn't like "Rango." It wasn't perfect yet I thought that the art quality was very high and original, though I agree that fifteen less minutes would have been fine.

That b&w is no longer necessary makes its choice for a film a purely artistic one. Yes it delivers far better dramatic chiaroscuro than color, but in the case of "Nebraska" it means nothing other than "trying to hide a stinker here." I've been a Bruce Dern NON fan for decades because his dramatic range runs the gamut from "a" to "b-," as Dorothy Parker so famously almost quipped. This performance seals his on screen doom forever for me.

Saw "Rain Man" for the first time last week. It's nice that Tom Cruise's character finally saw some worth in his long lost disabled brother, but sitting through his seemingly unending role as a pure selfish abrasive prick was nearly impossible. Not recommended.

Marina Abramovic in "The Artist is Present" is surprisingly good, though it started unpromisingly. Addams Family Values was quite amusing for maybe the fourth time I've seen it. Probably not funny if you're a big Disney fan.
Old 19th November, 2014, 03:58 AM

Don't mean to dis "Rango", very inventive and excellent artwork, but I find it a bit hard to sit through. I'll have to try it again sometime.

I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise. Of his films I've seen, the only one I felt he actually acted in was "Legend"(1985). Everything else I've seen with him, IMO, was him playing the same character (himself?), all arrogance and ego. There's no end of examples of that, including "Risky Business", "Days Of Thunder", "Top Gun" and "Rainman". The reason to watch "Rainman"(1988) is Dustin Hoffman's remarkable performance, truly great and the films' redeeming value. "Mission Impossible"(1996) could have been a very good film, but Cruise's imprint seriously damaged it (destroyed the sequels), likewise "Minority Report"(2002), he turned an excellent story into just another Cruise ego vehicle (inappropriately expanded "hero" chase sequence included). It's taken some arm twisting to get me to watch a Cruise film for a while now. That doesn't mean there aren't films I like that include Cruise ("The Firm"(1993),"A Few Good Men"(1992)), but my liking them has little to do with Cruise.

FWIW -- Three films I really like with Bruce Dern aboard are "Hang 'Em High"(1968), "The Cowboys"(1972) and "Silent Running"(1972). It's amazing just how many films and TV episodes he's appeared in, quite a career! Am curious about "Nebraska", will definitely check it out. Adding "The Driver"(1978) to my viewing list as well.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 19th November, 2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 20th November, 2014, 12:52 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm glad that you enjoyed the artwork in "Rango," I found it superb.

Agreed, Mr Cruise is unbearable most of the time. Also, his left profile is one of the ugliest things ever seen on a screen. Dustin Hoffman can't even break through his domineering supreme asininity until almost the end of the film.
I liked "The Firm" too--perhaps it was greatly refreshing to see his Royal Cruiseness in genuine peril? "Jack Reacher," or "One Shot" as written by Lee Child was enjoyable because of the strength of the novel's main character. Of course Rosamund Pike adds serious appeal. And she looks even better in her more recent screen performances. Huzzah!

I may be wrong but it seems to me that Mr Dern plays one and the same character in every role I've seen him in. One thoroughly unpleasant
man with that skinny easily twisted face of his. Yes, he was born with the face but I assert that it didn't confine him to one and only one role.

Last edited by cloasters; 20th November, 2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 20th November, 2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Dustin Hoffman can't even break through his domineering supreme asininity until almost the end of the film.
I'm suspecting you don't understand the character that Hoffman was portraying. Most people don't until they become educated about autism -- and happily, most never need to. His character is an "idiot savant":

Savant syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hoffman put a huge personal effort into learning, understanding, and portraying the reality of that condition. His performance was phenomenal. He may well be the only actor ever to accomplish that, most produce caricatures, not the real thing.

PS. If you might be interested in checking out another striking Hoffman effort, try "Tootsie"(1982).

Quote:
I may be wrong but it seems to me that Mr Dern plays one and the same character in every role I've seen him in. One thoroughly unpleasant man with that skinny easily twisted face of his. Yes, he was born with the face but I assert that it didn't confine him to one and only one role.
True, he largely appears typecast, but I do think the depth of his characterization was very good in "The Cowboys" (he was a principal actor) and he created an entirely different character in "Silent Running" (him being the lead actor), and a very plausible one at that. I suspect him under-rated due to the typecasting.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 20th November, 2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 21st November, 2014, 02:30 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Mr Hoffman did a superlative job in portraying a person belabored by savant syndrome. That Mr Cruise (what says the birth certificate?) cares only about his brother's ability to make him money in casinos perfectly illustrates his all too usual ego-maniacal portrayal of himself. I wasn't trying to disrespect Dustin Hoffman's extraordinary acting ability--only clearly reveal my contempt bordering on hatred for nearly all of Tommy Cruise's work on screen.
Can't say that I like the man, either. Surprise!

Saw Kristen Scott Thomas in "Nowhere Boy," a story of John Lennon's pre-Beatles years. She's a fine actress, yet the story is definitely not a happy ha-ha movie.
Old 21st November, 2014, 08:18 AM

Thinking of Dustin Hoffman, Mike Nichols just died. He was the director of "The Graduate"(1967) and many other great films!

Mike Nichols - IMDb

Have added "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?"(1966) and "Working Girl"(1988) to my viewing list. Many thanks Mike!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 23rd November, 2014, 01:24 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I remember "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" as an exercise in pain. There's certainly a place for this but not in my life. Mike Nichols was great at capturing the current Zeitgeist as seen from a Liberal perspective. "The Graduate" was an instant classic. I found "Catch-22" to be as good of an attempt at portraying the novel as was possible. The book was far too "complicated" for lack of a more precise term, to capture on film if you haven't read it it's not to be missed.

I remember "Biloxi Blues" fondly, In the South it's pronounced "Bi-lu-xi."

Silkwood was a story that desperately needed telling to a wide audience. Even in 1983 the power of corporatism was removing events of great import before they were told both in print and on screen. Kerr-Magee was and surely is god in Oklahoma for bad and worse.

"The Birdcage" was a good production and funny care of Robin Williams and a good cast yet it was a blatant "Me Too" film perhaps due to infamous American wide and open taste in movies?

We will definitely miss Mike Nichols!
Old 25th November, 2014, 11:56 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Watched "The Graduate" a couple of nights ago, many years since I last saw it. Superb! Been wanting to see "Blind Fury" for years, finally did. Not a great film by any stretch but Rutger Hauer has his moments. Worth it if you're into revenge against the morally guilty.

"Heartburn" is not one of Mike Nichols's better efforts, better avoided if you can bear to miss yet another smirk by Jack Nicholson. Both he and especially Meryl Streep are excellent actors but this Nora Ephron screenplay can be skipped unless you love painful divorce on the silver screen.

"A Murder of Crows" is surprisingly good, confirming that I'm a Cuba Gooding Jr fan. Recommended.