AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.60 average.
Old 26th November, 2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Watched "The Graduate" a couple of nights ago, many years since I last saw it. Superb! Been wanting to see "Blind Fury" for years, finally did. Not a great film by any stretch but Rutger Hauer has his moments. Worth it if you're into revenge against the morally guilty.

"Heartburn" is not one of Mike Nichols's better efforts, better avoided if you can bear to miss yet another smirk by Jack Nicholson. Both he and especially Meryl Streep are excellent actors but this Nora Ephron screenplay can be skipped unless you love painful divorce on the silver screen.

"A Murder of Crows" is surprisingly good, confirming that I'm a Cuba Gooding Jr fan. Recommended.
Any film with Rutger Hauer has me immediately interested. I reliably enjoy his quirky characters and story lines. First exposure was "Blade Runner"(1982), have been addicted ever since! Yes, "Blind Fury"(1989) is one of many good ones -- three others are "The Salute of the Jugger"(1989), "Surviving the Game"(1994), and "Bone Daddy"(1998).

I used to be a Cuba Gooding Jr. fan, but he seemed to have a string of stinkers following his excellent "Men Of Honor"(2000). Ah, I see "A Murder of Crows"(1998) goes back to his earlier days, will check it out.

Jack Nicholson is an amazing actor. My first exposure to him was "Easy Rider"(1969), but he has had so many memorable performances: "Five Easy Pieces"(1970), "The Last Detail"(1973), "Chinatown"(1974), "The Missouri Breaks"(1976), "The Shining"(1980), "The Witches Of Eastwick"(1987), "Batman"(1989), "Hoffa"(1992), and more.

PS. I've read "Catch-22" twice so far and am probably about due for number three. Yes, it's so very complex it must have been a real head banger to try to film (1970). The film does a good job of catching the essence!

PPS. As an aside, I'm a fan of "M.A.S.H."(1970) as well, though a much simpler story line ! Also a fan of the TV series.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 27th November, 2014 at 10:36 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th November, 2014, 01:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Rutger Hauer plays his role superbly in "Sin City," (2005) just sayin.' "Hobo With a Shotgun" (2011) was very enjoyable as well. Just learned that he's a Dutchman, mistakenly thought he was German.

I know what you mean about some of Cuba Gooding Jr's efforts, I also became a non fan for years. Yet I really enjoyed "A 'Moider' of Crows."

Surely Meryl Streep deserves kudos as well? She's probably the best American actress alive, imho. Looking at the list I've seen very few of her movies, but I loved "She Devil" (1989) which rates dismally at imdb, yet the film was superb for me. "Julie and Julia" (2009) worked well for me, but the setting and story of the poor widdle rich people in "It's Complicated" (2009) were too much to bear.

"Five Easy Pieces" wasn't all that great. Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that a former GF didn't get the part in it that she was in the running for? However, "The Last Detail" did a superb job of letting one know what it's like to be in the service. Very high praise deserved! He scared the living crap out of me in "The Shining," I'd be surprised if anyone else in the theater was unmoved by his brilliant performance. Chinatown was a superb film, too bad that Polanski is a pedophile. Mr Nicholson's body of work stands alone, he's unique.

It's great that you've read "Catch-22" more than once, kudos! It's a work of genius. It looks like Joseph Heller only had one pinnacle of artistry within him, but so far, none for me. Glad he did!!

The movie "MASH" was refreshing and enjoyable, I was especially tickled by the Japanese renditions of American pop songs over the PA system. After a while the tv show became too reliably repetitive, how many times could Hawkeye hate being in the Korean War? And BJ Honeycutt was a hideously LAME replacement for Cpt John McIntyre. Wow, the first episode was in 1972, while I was enjoying wonderful Viet-Nam. Who knew?

While set in Korea, the film and TV show were really about Viet-Nam. Or maybe war is a universal bummer? True, that.
Old 27th November, 2014, 03:41 AM

Meryl Streep hasn't been much on my radar. I enjoyed her in "River Wild"(1994) and heard "The French Lieutenant's Woman"(1984) was very good (as well as others), but it/they didn't attract my viewing attention. I watched "The Deer Hunter"(1978) two or three times, but wasn't particularly aware of her. Only like the Kubric portion of "A.I.", can't stand the Speilberg balance. I prefer the original "Manchurian Candidate"(1962) and don't care for "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events", but picked up "The Devil Wears Prada"(2006) and "Doubt"(2008), though have yet to watch them.

As previously mentioned, "Silkwood"(1983) is excellent. I don't doubt she is a very accomplished actress, but my impression is her performances/films are more aligned with the drama and perhaps even melodrama side of things. Perhaps "Postcards From The Edge"(1990) would really ring my bell, I just don't expect it (though with Shirley MacLaine and Dennis Quaid in the mix, I should probably reconsider). My response is non-reflective of her performance, just myself and my taste in films.

PS. Do have both "Sin City" and "Hobo...", though haven't watched them yet.

PPS. Yay -- my used "The Shaggy Dog" DVD arrived! Happy Thanksgiving!

PPPS. I suspect I'm now effectively cornered into investigating Meryl's work further. OK, I submit. I'll start with the above mentioned title! But please don't hold me to a time table, I tend to be sluggish!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 27th November, 2014 at 10:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th November, 2014, 01:07 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Ms Streep tends to grab the audience's attention, sometimes a bit unfairly because of her virtuosity, putting other actors somewhat in the shade. If you've a healthy dose of misogyny one can resent this. I really try to be an equal opportunity misanthrope so I can overlook this sometimes. She is outstanding in "..French Lieutenant's Woman," yet it's definitely a "chick flick" for want of a more sophisticated phrase.

I suppose the same can be said for "The Devil Wears Prada" yet she animates her part as a perfectly selfish evil woman deliciously well.
Her character as a well disguised bad person (and boy, she looks good!) who loses everything in She Devil is beautifully done, highly recommended.
I genuinely disliked "Deer Hunter" and don't remember her part in it.

Hope you enjoy your find of "The Shaggy Dog!"
As a kid I greatly enjoyed "The Shaggy Dog" and "Flubber" yet I fear their overwhelming sweetness would raise my hackles nowadays.
Old 28th November, 2014, 01:39 PM

Am obtaining a couple Meryl Streep films including "The Iron Lady"(2011) as well as some early Woody Allen films ("What's New P.u.s.s.y.cat"(1965), "What's Up Tiger Lily"(1966), "Take The Money And Run"(1969), "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex"(1972), "Sleeper"(1973)). Time to get re-grounded I guess? "She-Devil"(1989) is included, as well as a 1957 film by the same name, though seemingly a different story line. Can't say I'm fond of "The Deer Hunter" either, it just has a great rep and so I feel I should appreciate it more than I do. Perhaps an illusion? Guess I need to watch it yet again! Can't say I'm fond of "Raging Bull"(1980) either, keep thinking I must be missing something ! Need to try yet again? In any case, it's back on the list!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 28th November, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 29th November, 2014, 01:36 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Well done, good sir! If Ms Streep's role in "The Iron Lady" is at all sympathetic, I may have to cross her off of my list. IMO, if Margaret Thatcher wasn't stillborn she should have not been conceived at all. A true monster. Fascism must not be encouraged at any time by anyone. Shame on Streep for remotely considering the role--assuming that she played the Thatcher as anyone other than a true monster.
But I won't find out for myself, my monumental distaste for the real woman precludes seeing her portrayed on screen. Perhaps you could fill me in sometime, please?

Allen Konigsberg's early films can be quite funny, "Take The Money and Run," "Bananas" and "Sleeper" come to mind. Yet they're all the same Woody Allen character playing himself-except for "Sleeper," where he steps out of himself for a while.
I watched Play it Again Sam again recently and must say it's a brilliant movie.

"I've avoided "Raging Bull" ever since its release, a gritty sweat flying celebration of men paid to murder each other in slow motion is not on my must see list. Looking back over his unending career, the concept of De Niro being destroyed is most refreshing. WHEN will the man retire? Other actors need and deserve work. It's strange (to me) that Al Pacino is a better actor but has a far shorter filmography. Admittedly, "Taxi Driver" was one hell of a memorable role.

I highly recommend "Luther-Series One," Idris Elba is very impressive and Ruth Wilson knocks me out. (BBC Video)

The "Sherlock" series on BBC is a must see.

The all-American production of "The Blacklist" tv series one is outstanding. Series One is available on Netflix.

For better or worse I'm waiting for "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," "Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For," as well as "Guardians of the Galaxy," "Luther-Series Three" and "Orphan Black-Season Two" to become available on Amazon. Haven't seen anything "brand new" for months. Argh!
Old 5th December, 2014, 01:28 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I saw "Vertigo" (1958) recently. It's been decades since I first saw it and I really enjoyed it. "The Letter" (1940) featured Betty Davis at her most evil, watched it for the first time recently. It was quite good, but suffered a bit from old fashioned pacing. Don't know whether or not to recommend it.
"Le Havre" (2012) is a small French film but it might better to be a Humanist to enjoy it.

I'll see if "Surviving the Game" and "The Salute of the Jugger" are available on Netflix, "Bone Daddy" might be a little too... grizzly.
Ordered "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," "Frank Miller's Sin City A Dame to Kill For" and "Guardians of the Galaxy," Amazon seems to get slower with shipping as time progresses. I HATE their "keep pushing the date of availability back" policy. Liars.
Happy watching!
Old 13th December, 2014, 08:31 AM

"Vertigo" is a very good film. Glad you enjoyed "Play It Again, Sam"! Think I have "Le Havre" on tap, but I continue to be way behind in my viewing. "Bone Daddy" is a very intelligent and well done/acted film, if you watch it, you'll be surprised! There are other Rutger Hauer films that are a somewhat to extreme stretch, but frankly, I like them all ! As a relatively engaging example, try "Crossworlds"(1996)! Yes, it includes Jack Black at a couple points, but he can be safely ignored.

Am currently getting my hands on the original TV "Batman" series ('64-'66). Not a recommendation, just something I happened to enjoy at the time and hope to enjoy again !

PS. Two more good Hauer fims are "The Hitcher"(1986) and "Hostile Waters"(1997).
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 13th December, 2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 14th December, 2014, 01:37 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"Survivng the Game," "Bone Daddy" and "Salute of the Jugger" aren't available from Netflix. Surprise! Not. A film library they ain't. I added "Hostile Waters" to my queue, but I decided to avoid "The Hitcher" for now at least. I'll see if "Crossworlds" floateth my boat, Jack Black can be quite alright on occasion.

I really enjoyed the original (afaik) "Batman" tv series, don't know if I would nowadays.
Saw "I Spit on Your Grave" (2010) last night. Not a great movie, however the sweet justice dispensed by the victim of the good ole boy club is most delicious because justice is grievously a decades lost memory in real life.

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night too. Not perfect yet surprisingly good. Here's hoping that "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" lives up to the good press.
Amazon finally delivered my Christmas present of BD's/DVD's to me. Only a nine day wait, ugh.
Old 14th December, 2014, 02:20 AM

Did you see the original "I Spit On Your Grave"(1979)? As usual, it's easily better than the remake (IMO). I see there was a French film of that name in '59, though with a very different story line. There's also an ISOYG 2 (2013) -- have it on tap but haven't watched it yet.

The "Guardians Of The Galaxy" title reminds of a really fun flick "Masters Of The Universe"(1983) -- can't imagine you not getting a kick out of it.

Yeah, I love receiving "care" packages too, nothing lined up this year though. Enjoy your viewing, always great fun (when one gets to it ).
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 14th December, 2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 15th December, 2014, 02:52 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I did see the 1979 version of "I Spit on Your Grave," it had far more lush photography of nature and the protagonist was definitely a more comely woman. Yet the 2010 version spent more film on the victim's revenge, and it was more concentrated on the details thereof. She deserved her retribution even though more tempered revenge would have consisted of rape of the sheriff and his gang of jerks.

This is impossible for a woman working by herself. Undoubtedly the fact that thousands of men get away scot-free after raping innocent women enters into her calculation of her sentence of death for each of the guilty country "boys." And justice in a court of law was obviously unattainable - the criminal sheriff's deputy relished his part in his anal rape of her. Crooked cops, judges and especially District Attorneys make certain that "justice" is reserved for the powerful. I obviously prefer the 2010 version though I agree that the outdoor photography of the 1979 movie was far superior.

"Guardians of the Galaxy" is fun and the green screens are lusciously well done. Saw "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" last night. It was better than "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" (2011) largely because James Franco wasn't in it--however credit must be given to him for helping us learn to care about Caesar in that first new "...Apes" film.
If you are a true blue "Man is the pinnacle of god's creation! Period." type of person you won't like the new "...Apes" movies.

I stopped ordering DVD's from Amazon for six months to "protest" their poor service, but had to swallow my resentment for Christmas. $165 worth of movies for moi. Yay! Netflix can be VERY lame a lot of the time!
Old 19th December, 2014, 02:55 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm a Jason Statham fan, so I'll wait for "Wild Card" on disc next year. You can say he always plays the same role yet his dramatic range does surprise on occasion.
Don't know if you care for the "Luther," the BBC series. Saw all of season 3, I'm glad that they backed off the tendency for the show to concentrate on truly disturbing criminal characters and Ruth Wilson finally reappears in the fourth episode, to save Our Hero in one of her trademarked weird ways yet again. We'll see if there's a fourth season.

Almost finished with the first season of "Orphan Black," and have the second in the video cabinet. It's SF, but lacks the "machinery, beeps and buzzes" sought after by many genre fans. Tatiana Maslany is one heck of a young actress, she distinctly plays at least five different clones (literally) of the same woman very well indeed. Recommended.
Old 19th December, 2014, 06:43 AM

Not sure about Jason Statham. He worked well for me as a supporting actor in "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"(1998), "Snatch"(2000), and "Ghosts Of Mars"(2001), (not really a fan of the "Italian Job"(2003) remake,) but I find him a bit of a stretch as the principal. The first half or so of "The Transporter"(2002) was decent, but then I felt it became cumbersome, didn't visit the sequels. "Crank"(2006) was hardly an expressive role, but the script/photography was sufficiently manic to make it work, same but stretching further for the sequel. "The Bank Job" is supposed to be good (have the disc), but haven't watched it yet. He seems to be involved in a lot of retreads and I generally prefer the originals, usually more dimensional characters, more believable situations, more rounded plots/scripts. Still, it would seem he's pretty much the action hero of the day. I'm definitely a fan of JCVD and Chuck Norris, was once a fan of Steven Segal, but that was long ago -- I find those films to be generally more humanistic, JCVD's "Lionheart"(1990) being an especially good example. Guess I'm just old fashioned.

As an SF fan I'm definitely checking out "Orphan Black". A series I liked is "Sapphire And Steel"(1979-1982), unfortunately the principals (David McCallum and Joanna Lumely) chose not to embark on a next season, had other work lined up -- left the last episode a cliff-hanger. I'm currently adding to my oldies TV series, "Hercules: The Legendary Journey's"('95-'99), "Xena: Warrior Princess"('95-'01), and MST3K('88-'99). Let the good times reign supreme!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 21st December, 2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Corrected my spelling of Statham -- oops!
Old 20th December, 2014, 02:59 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Statham plays the "wordless warrior" very well, but he can't always carry an entire film. I thought "Lock, Stock etc" barely funny, I guess Brad Pitt added greatly to the greatness of "Snatch", yet Jason Statham was excellent therein. I recommend "Safe" far over "Crank" which I found rather mindless and plot deficient. The second "Italian Job" was adequate. I highly recommend "Redemption," Statham is nigh on a full fledged, sensitive human being in it. Of course he brings his magnificent violent side to the film too.
Old 20th December, 2014, 03:43 AM

Yeah, it was the photography and manic outrageousness that makes "Crank" work for me, but I have to be in the right mood ! "Safe"(2012) and "Redemption"(2013) are now added to my list.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 21st December, 2014, 01:27 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I've seen "Safe" three times and "Redemption" four times, I find "Safe" very good and "Redemption" excellent. I really hope you enjoy them! Sorry, couldn't find Statham's "Redemption" on imdb. Should have remembered Agata Buzek, dang it.

Watched "A Most Wanted Man" (2014) this week, it's not one of John Le Carre's best novels so I suppose the film is as good as possible. Perhaps a one and a half star effort.

Saw "Blue Velvet" (1986) last night- it made me feel distinctly uneasy, which is the central thrust of the film, of course. Isabella Rossellini looks as good as I've ever seen her. She's a very good actor, but doesn't compare well to her mother, in talent or looks. Dennis Hopper is at his menacing best, a true creep bahstage.

I think I liked him best in The American Friend (1977), original title Der amerikanische Freund. I remember it as being in English, or at least sub-titled when necessary. Of course, my German was far better in those days of old, but never truly fluent. I really like modern German directors, ymmv. Highly Recommended.
Old 24th December, 2014, 10:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
The "Guardians Of The Galaxy" title reminds of a really fun flick "Masters Of The Universe"(1983) -- can't imagine you not getting a kick out of it.
I found GOTG surprisingly good, I think mostly because it doesn't take itself too seriously. I understand there are talks of a sequel.

I noticed some comments between you and Cloasters regarding Statham, whom I also enjoy.

"The Expendables" movies are not too bad, although I think 3 might have gone a bit too far. Ronda Rousey as 'Luna' just doesn't really sell the 'badass chick' vibe to me, even though she has the bonafides of a true 'badass chick' (you don't get a 4th-degree in Judo just by being pretty).
Old 25th December, 2014, 03:18 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Marvel created a new bona fide leading character with Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy. I found that the nearly wordless Groot greatly helped the film. Chris Pratt? His back story was interesting, but he was terrible in "the official white man with the cool space guns" role imho. Ugh, lose him in the sequel, puhlease. My disapproval probably guarantees his reappearance, sigh.

The "Expendables" sequels are not so good, imho. However, "Escape" with S Stallone and A Shwarzenegger is quite good. Recommended.

Watched "Viridiana" (1961) this week. Luis Bunuel is a very interesting director, but I dunno if I can take any more dark interiors with dark Spanish classical intricately carved furniture. Gives me the willies it does. It reminds me of the incredibly cruel Conquistadors, bringing "God" into the hearts and minds of the poor ignorant natives of the Americas. Phuck those ignorant bahstages, would that Europeans never "discovered" the "new world."
Old 25th December, 2014, 08:58 AM

Merry Christmas guys and here's hoping for much enjoyable viewing! Best Wishes to you and yours!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 25th December, 2014, 09:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
The "Expendables" sequels are not so good, imho. However, "Escape" with S Stallone and A Shwarzenegger is quite good. Recommended.
Oooh, yeah, "Escape" was a good flick.