AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.60 average.
Old 26th December, 2014, 01:24 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Merry Christmas and a great New Year to all!

Glad you liked "Escape." I have the third season of "Sherlock" and the second season of "Orphan Black" still in cellophane. Something new to see for Christmas, yay!
Old 28th December, 2014, 07:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

How did you like "Sherlock"? I found all 3 seasons quite enjoyable.

Also, what do you think of "Orphan Black"? I've not seen it, been debating whether to check it out. I'm in the same boat with "Game of Thrones".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th December, 2014, 12:30 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I thought that the first two seasons of "Sherlock" were most superior entertainment. Season 3 is still in its wrappings, I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm three shows into the second season of "Orphan Black" and it's still going strong, they're ratcheting up the drama too. Tatiana Maslany is one hell of a young actor, she'll go far. You could say that it's a "chick show" because she plays many clones of the same woman, yet there's plenty enough danger to spice up the script. Her step-brother has the leading male role, he's gay yet he's the one character who truly cares about her, so I excuse his non all-American hero-ness most of the time.

Saw "Pan's Labrinth" (2006) this weekend. It's shot in Spain and takes place in 1944, after Franco won their Civil War. But The Captain (he's a real nice guy. Not) is still hunting down those pesky Republicans in the mountains. Written and directed by Guillermo del Toro. Quite interesting, with good English subtitles. Recommended. Earned an 8.3 at imdb.

Re-watched "Rango" (2011) last night, it's an animated effort with superbly rendered characters with very interesting animal faces. Can't say it's a great movie but you could do far worse on a winter weekend. There's a very surprising sequence that opens with "Ride of the Valkyries" that alone is almost worth the price of the ticket.
Old 8th January, 2015, 12:48 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saw "Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures" as well as re-watching "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" last weekend. I find Stanley Kubrick ("Dr Strangelove," "2001," "The Shining" and many more) to be a fascinating director. He had an IQ of 200 so that puts me far, far behind him which makes his movies difficult to decipher, but easy to enjoy. It's great to understand more about his life, this film helps.

Holy Crap, "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" is thirty years old. Amazing! I still found it a very fun flick.

Last edited by cloasters; 8th January, 2015 at 12:49 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th January, 2015, 04:05 AM

Thanks for the tips. As a follow up on Rutger Hauer, make sure you've seen "Nighthawks"(1981) -- excellent!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 10th January, 2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11th January, 2015, 12:37 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks for the "Nighthawks" memory jog. Added to my delivery queue at Netflix, "very long wait for the DVD." Aww, Netflix is so precious.

Watched "Fellini: I'm a Born Liar" earlier this week. Another brilliant director I know very little about. Interesting, but it's a bit tough to sit through, as if I understand Italian? It's well subtitled. Have you seen "City of Women?" Loved it.
Old 11th January, 2015, 08:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
He had an IQ of 200 so that puts me far, far behind him which makes his movies difficult to decipher, but easy to enjoy.
I'm pretty sure that's an urban legend. To the best of my knowledge, IQs greater than 150 are EXTREMELY difficult to test accurately which is why most tests simply indicate "150+"
Old 12th January, 2015, 12:30 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Bamboozled by yet another urban legend? The shame of it!
Old 19th January, 2015, 02:09 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saw "...Buckaroo Banzai..." last night. Perhaps I'd have liked it a LOT more if I saw it in the still getting high days of 1984. Maybe I did? TBH it was a real chore to sit through, only bad enough to be amusing in small patches, mostly bad BAD. Sorry that your opinion differs.

OTOH, "Hanna" (2011) was fantastic, a real keeps you on the edge of your seat drama. Saoirse (pronounced "seer-sha") Ronan really is a fine actress, nominated for an Academy Award at the age of 13 she'll go very far. Cate Blanchett plays the baddie very convincingly. Highly Recommended.
Old 20th January, 2015, 07:10 AM

Awwww, really sorry to hear that "Buckaroo..." didn't cut it, one of my all time favorite films ! A Sci-Fi semi-farce from beginning to end -- an opportunity to laugh at myself. Did you try "Earth Girls Are Easy"(1988)? Perhaps better if you didn't, another I enjoy !

By the way, another name for "Salute Of The Jugger"(1989) is "The Blood Of Heroes". Perhaps NetFlix will recognize that?

Believe I picked up the BD of "Hanna" on the strength of what I've read about it, however, as usual, I've yet to actually watch it (likewise the "Hunger Games" films). Darn, don't see it in my shelves, will have to conduct a search !

Regarding your Fellini question. I've really never been a clear art house fan and I'm presuming him to be in that category. However, was dragged to a showing of "High Art"(1998) and ultimately felt it to be a powerful film. I also consider "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being"(1988) to be an especially good film. I'm inherently interested in Criterion selections and have several. FWIW -- "Paris, Texas"(1984) is in my collection (high time I watched it again!)
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 20th January, 2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 21st January, 2015, 02:15 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I can't believe that Netflix says I watched and returned "Paris, Texas" exactly one year ago today. WTH? I thought that Ms Kinski was bewitching as a young woman, and I can't remember the film? Strange. And I really like Wim Wenders. I ordered it again for safe measure.

Put "Blood of Heroes" in my queue, thanks for the tip. "Salute..." wasn't to be found at Net pain in the butt.

The first "Hunger Games" flick measured up to "Hanna" pretty well. The second one's surprise ending makes the film. And Jennifer Lawrence is definitely arresting. But "Hanna" is fresher in visual memory and I find Saoirse (again, it's pronounced "seer-sha") Ronan exceptionally attractive. She's 22, so I'm not being a would-be cradle robber here.

Criterion's offerings range from far too costly to simply overpriced. This annoys me, but they seem to be the sole-source for some flicks. Admittedly I don't search far and wide by any stretch. Suggestions very welcome!

I liked the book "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" FAR more than the film.

Not sure if "City of Women" was Fellini's last picture but it's HIGHLY recommended, especially for non art-house folks.
Old 21st January, 2015, 04:24 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Saw "...Buckaroo Banzai..." last night. Perhaps I'd have liked it a LOT more if I saw it in the still getting high days of 1984. Maybe I did? TBH it was a real chore to sit through, only bad enough to be amusing in small patches, mostly bad BAD. Sorry that your opinion differs.

OTOH, "Hanna" (2011) was fantastic, a real keeps you on the edge of your seat drama. Saoirse (pronounced "seer-sha") Ronan really is a fine actress, nominated for an Academy Award at the age of 13 she'll go very far. Cate Blanchett plays the baddie very convincingly. Highly Recommended.
I tried to watch BB about a year ago. Like you, I was nonplussed. Oddly, I remember it being much more interesting when I saw it back in the 80s.

I haven't seen Hanna, although I thought the previews looked interesting. I'll give it a looksee, now.
Old 22nd January, 2015, 02:32 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saoirse (it's "seer-sha" for the last time) Ronan is so yummy that I might have to buy the movie. Dirty old man? What else is there to do that keeps you awake in the declining years? No kids, no wife, family all in the ground. Avoid self pity like the plague! Obsess about the unattainable, there's the ticket!

She's a fine actor. Don't miss "Hanna," is my personal recommendation. I first saw her in "How I Live Now," a future horrible flick set in England. Not a horror movie, just how the future may turn out. We'd like to avoid such a future, personally speaking. She's a very different character in "The Grand Budapest Hotel," but very fetching indeed.

I wanted to spare TrevorS's feelings, he's a fine man and very valuable contributor. I hated Buckaroo Banzai, from the first shot of one UGLY Peter Weller, ugh. Maybe it was amusing long ago?
Old 22nd January, 2015, 04:46 AM

Wow, you guys found "Buckaroo..." that objectionable, eh? That's with a 6.4 on IMDB and a 72/70 on RT. 'Course, if you can't stand the appearance of Peter Weller, guess that's bound to impact your reaction! Can't find my copy of "Hanna", oh well!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 22nd January, 2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 22nd January, 2015, 08:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post
Wow, you guys found "Buckaroo..." that objectionable, eh? That's with a 6.4 on IMDB and a 72/70 on RT. 'Course, if you can't stand the appearance of Peter Weller, guess that's bound to impact your reaction! Can't find my copy of "Hanna", oh well!
Actually, I quite like Peter Weller. I thought his performances in 'RoboCop' and 'RoboCop 2' were good, and I enjoyed his appearances on both 'Star Trek:Enterprise' and 'Star Trek: Into Darkness'. I'll grant he's not the most handsome of actors, but I don't necessarily see that as a detraction.

Last edited by Gizmo; 22nd January, 2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 23rd January, 2015, 12:27 AM

If you do like Peter Weller (I'm definitely a fan and Robo 2 never got the credit it deserved) and you like Sci-Fi, then I suggest you might enjoy "Screamers"(1995) (RT didn't like it, but I consider it a gem). Looks as though I probably confused my having a 720p file copy of "Hanna"[EDIT:corrected miss-spell] with having the disc. Will view the 720p, but have also ordered a used BD.

PS. Have added "Naked Lunch"(1991) and "Shakedown"(1988) to my list.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 23rd January, 2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 23rd January, 2015, 01:39 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Peter Weller obviously didn't engineer his own physiognomy, I shouldn't hold it against him. But there are SO many actors and actresses in the trade with pleasing features...

"Naked Lunch" is one twisted novel, I've seen the film too, long ago. No way it can hold its own against the book. Mebbe I'll buy a copy of the book, I'm reading far too little lately, must get back to it!

Not to be a pita, but it's "Hanna" not "Hannah."

Bought a brand new Samsung BD player. ~$150 and got great ratings by many people at Amazon. Dang thing stalled out at 1:12 playing the DVD of "The Grand Budapest Hotel." Oh happy day.

Never had any real problems with a good deal cheaper Sony DVD and BD players. Argh.
Old 23rd January, 2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Peter Weller obviously didn't engineer his own physiognomy, I shouldn't hold it against him. But there are SO many actors and actresses in the trade with pleasing features...
Which I view as a major problem with the film/TV industry today. In the first 3/4 of the last century (roughly) there was a broad diversity in actors/actresses both in appearance and skills. Just because a person is pretty doesn't imply their skill set is a good fit for any given role. At that time the film industry was rife with excellent character and bit actors where character was delivered both in appearance and performance. Perhaps that's a major reason why it's so difficult to find films that are fun to watch anymore. Far too much concern with actor/actress appearance and far too little with their ability to create the characters they are cast for.

In light of this problem, it's amazing to me that Ron Perlman is as successful as he is. He's a very capable actor who creates superbly crafted characters, but his appearance is hardly pretty. A few examples of films he's been instrumental in:

"The Name Of The Rose"(1986)
"The City Of Lost Children"(1995)
"The Island of Dr. Moreau"(1996)
"Alien:Resurrection"(a dubious film, but his performance was excellent)
"Hellboy"(2004)

Let's please focus more on casting actors/actresses with superior ability to deliver their roles and put less emphasis on the "prettiness" of their features. Human beings are diverse, allow the performing arts to follow suit and thereby benefit from the broad pool of skills aspiring human beings bring to the table!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 23rd January, 2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old 24th January, 2015, 02:29 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

You are absolutely right, we need no more shallow movies built on shallow good looks. Yes, character actors are fading away. Movies without character overflow everything.
Maybe I simply hated Peter Weller in the role of BB? I dunno. But I'm not a fan of Robo-Cop 0 through 10. Like human policemen aren't far too likely to be Nazi robots? Yes, yes, imnsho. Sorry, Officer Friendly retired decades ago.

When we are all replaced by machines maybe machines will love movies full of machines? Believe me, the powers that be hate lesser humans. And we are all much lesser than they are.

I'm a Ron Perlman fan, I've seen both "Hellboy" films and bought the first. I think he's in the tv series about bikers with Katey Segal but I avoid tv.
Old 24th January, 2015, 01:43 PM

My salutations! If you haven't watched "The Name Of The Rose"(1986) then you're missing a remarkable film. Highly recommended!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE