AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.60 average.
Old 6th February, 2015, 02:01 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

As I age (ugh) collecting becomes less important and I'm reluctant to buy used DVD's. What if they're mechanically/electronically bad? The hassle of returning them makes me balk, tbh. Too bad that uckingfay Amazon is SO expensive. I suppose Netflix isn't too awful but I sure don't love 'em. There's a local old fashioned rental vid store in our fair city with a GREAT selection, but they're at the other end of town. I can't see well enough to drive any longer and paying my driver is expensive, making utilizing the store extra costly. It's always something.

I just love "The Bourne Legacy," one reason is that it tells the truth about a monster gummint that is cancerously out of control. I'll definitely see it again and again. I very much dislike zombie movies, they remind me strongly of downtown San Francisco in daylight and real life. The horrible things move FAST in "World War Z" which makes the flick, I suppose.

Watched "While You were Sleeping" last night on Nutflix, this ends my romantic comedy binge for a while. Twenty years ago Sandra Bullock was so unbelievably cute I wanted to eat her up on the spot, as the saying goes. Only beautiful from certain angles, but cuter than a June Bug, one of which I've never seen afaik.

I added "Silent Hill" to the long Netdummy queue. "Pitch Black," Vin Diesel, 'nuff said. Received "Ultraviolet" in the mail, hope I like it!
Old 7th February, 2015, 07:12 AM

Any time you buy a disc, it's a risk, though to be sure, with new, risk is minimized. With used, I prefer to go with "as new" or "very good", but I carefully read the description and evaluate the vendor feedback. If necessary (not the norm), I just have to return it (generally bicycle for me).

I think Milla does a good job of inhabiting her parts and that goes for "Ultraviolet", a stylized film that you may or may not like. It's comic based and it works for me, can't say much more than that (though I much enjoy the part played by William Fichtner -- an excellent character actor). "Silent Hill" is game based and I find it very engaging (I like Radha Mitchell, Sean Bean being tertiary in this film). It's a horror film, but despite the negative critical reviews, I like it! Highly imaginative. Hope you like them both, they're very different films and your responses depend on you -- I can only say they work for me. BTW -- I really think you are missing out by excluding "Resident Evil" and "Pitch Black".

My favorite Sandra Bullock films are "Demolition Man"(1993), "Speed"(1994) and "The Net"(1995). Still find it hard to believe that A-H "Jessie James" behaved the way he did. I applaud her ditching the A-H! She's a real woman (and philanthropist) and deserves all respect!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 8th February, 2015 at 06:28 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2015, 01:29 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

There is sort of a streaming service that "has it all," but it's Amazon and generally costly, sigh. I couldn't ride a bike with a gun to my head so any used movie return would involve the PO or worse, FedEx or suchlike.

I liked Milla in "Ultraviolet" but as the only "good" character she carried the flick all alone, which is somewhat of a strain for her. Sex appeal only goes so far, though I readily admit she has it by the bushel, she is truly beautiful. I especially appreciated the tasteful mild camel toe inclusion in her white and red outfits near the end of the flick, and the fact that she killed Arch Cardinal phuckhead was most gratifying. Talk about overwhelming odds against her! It was a nice surprise that she lived, too.

I become less of a SF fan as time progresses, so we'll see about "Resident Evil" and "Pitch Black."

I've seen "Demo... Man" and "Speed" enough times to avoid them permanently. Wesley Snipes becomes less and less acceptable and Keanu Reeves, as talented as he really is bothers me, dunno why. But*flix doesn't have "The Net," of course.

Gagged a few minutes of "Not Another Happy Ending" down last night, unfortunately Karen Gillan is not a good actress imho. She's cute as hell, but watching her is a bit of a teeth grinder, sigh.

Then put "Ultraviolet" in the machine and lusted over Milla Jovovitch for ninety minutes. Wish movies WERE ninety minutes, two hours is rarely necessary. Happy movie-ing!
Old 9th February, 2015, 10:18 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saw Chris Rock in "Down to Earth" (2001) last night, it gets 5.4 from imdb, but I liked it a lot more than that. Also features Wanda Sykes at her acerbic best.

Watched "Horns" (2013) starring Daniel Radcliffe this evening, he does an American accent seamlessly and is very good in the film. Didn't ring the Harry Potter bell once, I'm happy to say. Not a great flick but passed the time well on a rainy night.
Old 14th February, 2015, 03:34 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Watched "The Brothers Bloom" (2008) last night. Rachel Weisz is scintillating in it and steals the show. Not that the other actors are bad, but I wound up hating Mark Ruffalo's evil character and the other Bloom brother, Adrien Brody is so ugly (yet he's a good actor) that they (again) had to tone down Ms Weisz's beauty to make them being a couple feasible.
Recommended for her dazzling performance.

Will see "Hobo With a Shotgun" (2011) again this weekend, I seem to have a weakness for righteous revenge flicks.
Old 16th February, 2015, 07:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I watched Rachel Weisz in 'The Mummy' and then saw 'Constantine'. I didn't even realize it was the same actress. She really is an excellent actress, IMO. (Easy on the eyes, too)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2015, 02:21 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you very much for fixing the database error that plagued us for maybe 24 hours!!

I'm beginning to realize how great of an actor Rachael Weisz really is. And she is truly beautiful when the producers let her be. Have a look at "Dream House," (2011) also starring Daniel Craig, who is also a much better actor than I gave him credit for. There's a plot twist about halfway through the film that shocked me, pleasantly in the end I'm happy to say. She's a genuine beauty when allowed to be.

"Constantine" (2005) is now on my endless list at Netflix, fingers are crossed that it'll get here sometime this century.

"Hobo With a Shotgun" doesn't fly on a second sitting, the first time there's enough surprise but skip it after that. Assuming that you like Rutger Hauer enough to watch the third rate flick in the first place.

A second rate movie with Kurt Russel as the star (and unusually, the bad guy) is "Grindhouseeath Proof" (2007). It also features Rosario Dawson, but after (sadly) she was breathtakingly stunning in "Sin City." It has a wonderfully surprising ending but I can't recommend it because sitting through it that long is not easy.

These two were my regrettable weekend fare. I'll aim higher, I swear.
Old 24th February, 2015, 01:10 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saw "Eraserhead" (1978) this weekend. Saw it in a theater in '80 the first time. I forgot what a deeply disturbing movie it is. If you're feeling terminally bored some day with 90 minutes on your hands you'll definitely wake up, maybe screaming with this one. Can't recommend this film to any person with a heart condition.
It's not a horror movie by standard definition, but it surely horrifies.
Old 1st March, 2015, 05:09 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Just can't keep "The Grand Budapest Hotel" in it's box. Love that movie!
Old 3rd March, 2015, 10:03 AM

Hey dude, you have my apology for lack of appropriate attention/connection. Like you, I have my own BS concerns!

I watched "Eraserhead" (I think twice at this point), but it isn't something I easily accept -- a form of horror! Be assured I'll watch it yet again, but also again watch "PI". Another challenger in my opinion (challenging but not horrendous). I hope to be more communicative later!
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 3rd March, 2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 4th March, 2015, 01:51 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Glad you are keeping your head above the BS, it seems to get deeper by the day. I doubt I'll ever watch "Eraserhead" again, it's a deeply disturbing film. In a deeply disturbing real world I don't need the extra heaping helping. Sorry, don't know what "PI" refers to, apologies.

I'll see "The Million Dollar Hotel" tonight, I doubt that Ms Jovovich will appear in a skin tight costume in this one. Sigh.
Old 4th March, 2015, 03:34 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

BS is deep.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 5th March, 2015, 02:07 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It's wonderful to see you on the board, robbie! I think it's so dry "out in the desert of Ca." that deep piles of BS might be hard to find. Seems that I'm wrong about that, the stuff really is everywhere. Arrgh.

Didn't see "The Million Dollar Hotel" last night, it was too late and I discovered that the DVD is in bad shape, including a tiny chip out of the edge of it. We'll see if it works tonight.
Old 5th March, 2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Sorry, don't know what "PI" refers to, apologies.

I'll see "The Million Dollar Hotel" tonight, I doubt that Ms Jovovich will appear in a skin tight costume in this one. Sigh.
That's an OOPS! Pi (1998) - IMDb

Hope TMDH works for you! An earthy down-and-out flavored film, the characters have easily more character than most modern films.

PS. Another I want to get back to is "El Topo"(1970). A challenging apocalyptic flavored film along the lines of a Sergio Leone western, not a recommendation, but if you happen to be in the mood for that kind of thing ! (Spanish language w/ subtitles)
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 5th March, 2015 at 05:49 AM.
Old 6th March, 2015, 01:28 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The DVD of "The Million Dollar Hotel" that Netflix sent me actually played. Surprising, because it's in bad shape. 'Fraid that 5.9 from Imdb is about right. Milla can really act, much to her credit. But Jeremy Davie's part annoyed the hell out of me, I wasn't unhappy when he dove off of The Million Dollar Hotel. Cruel of me, perhaps, but it rescued the film for me. Barely. Seeing Bono in the lobby practically removed all goodness from the movie, the man is a monster, imho. And obviously not a good writer.
Maybe I didn't enjoy the film?

Otoh, I liked (2001) "K-PAX," Kevin Spacey was great as the lead, and Jeff Bridges plays a typical know it all psychiatrist, later redeeming himself with more than a touch of real humanity very well. Recommended.

Not sure why, but I get the names of James Spader and Kevin Spacey mixed up often. Maybe because they're both superior actors and have somewhat similar faces? Argh, I'm still bad with names.

I added "El Topo" to my queue at Net-our quality decreases day be day.
Old 9th March, 2015, 01:08 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saw "Nighthawks" (1981) last night, from Netflix of course. Not a great one, yet the much younger Rutger Hauer does a very good job. Only recommended for a listlessly boring evening. Unless you love Sylvester Stallone. I don't.

My rented copy of "The Big Sleep" (1946) arrived from Net-yes, we're really Amazon in time for a weekend viewing, and it's in good enough shape for a real big screen disc player! I love this flick, noir is at its pinnacle therein. I have my own disc but can't find it, natch. It will greatly improve Sunday night.
Old 9th March, 2015, 02:54 AM

I like Sylvester Stallone in most of his earlier flicks. A few personal fun favorites are "Judge Dredd"(1995) with Max Von Sydow, Diane Laine, Joan Chen, et al., "Cliffhanger"(1993) with John Lithgow, Ralph Waite, etc, "Daylight"(1993) with Amy Brenneman, Viggo Mortenson, etc, and various others, though my top shelf selections have to be "First Blood"(1982) and "Rocky"(1976). A matter of taste, obviously!

Yeah, Bogie had a bunch of excellent films -- I enjoy "The African Queen"(1951) with Katherine Hepburn.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE
Old 10th March, 2015, 12:56 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I agree with your wow of "Rocky," I was well prepared to hate it yet a friend insisted and dragged me to see it. Surprise, it was great and I enjoyed it a lot!
"Judge Dredd," is better unmentioned, yet "Cliffhanger" was good enough to recommend with a small "r."

I loved "The Big Sleep" last night, but unfortunately I know the film too well now(but still don't grok some plot elements). Better wait a loong time to see it again.
Old 10th March, 2015, 02:44 AM

You might enjoy "First Blood"! The sequels are not worth bothering about, but the original is superb. Does a good job of giving the finger to the "man", but it's a lot more than that!

Am currently trying to make further inroads with my Charles Bronson collection. Ordered a couple used DVDs Saturday (Amazon). Also downloaded Isaac Asimov's Foundation series on audio book -- turns out some time following the original trilogy, he added two sequels and two prequels. Am going to give them a try (read "Foundation" years ago but had trouble getting engaged), but expecting I'll enjoy his robot series of novels more -- have read "I, Robot" probably three times and "Robots of Dawn" twice. Bedtime reading right now is Robert Heinlein.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 10th March, 2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11th March, 2015, 12:52 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It was nice that Signore Stallone was taking on The Man in "First Blood." Don't really have a compelling reason to re-watch it yet I agree that it's far better than a lot of his other work.

Sorry, I can't stand Charles Bronson at all. Because he is ALWAYS himself, period. I admit that I liked "Breakheart Pass" (1975) but the scenery and antique train, as well as Jill Ireland helped a lot.

I liked "Foundation" but didn't read the entire series. I read two of them for sure, The Mule became scarier and scarier as the books progressed, iirc. It's hard to find time for reading nowadays, arrgh. Moving pixels just dominate, and mostly destroy imagination as well as the mind's eye.