AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > 64 Bit computing

64 Bit computing "The" Topic for emerging 64 bit hardware and software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.60 average.
Old 14th March, 2015, 07:08 AM

For whatever reason, I find that although Charles Bronson pretty much always plays the same character (I presume himself), that character is well suited to his roles. I consistently find his 'acting' sympathetic and plausible. I have much the same experience with John Wayne (though his roles are much more complex), though I think he may have been more an 'actor' in "Stagecoach"(1939).

To me, the downside of audio books is I can't curl up to them in bed, however, the upside is it's very much like the days of radio theater when our imaginations would be sparked by the wondrous images evoked by the commentator's words ! No video presentation can ever live up to our imagination, just requires appropriate stimuli!

Of course, seems many to most have little patience for words anymore. Yet, well wrought words can be wondrous -- imaginative and evocative phrases/images providing pathways to the soul.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 14th March, 2015 at 07:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2015, 01:47 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Mr Bronson certainly created and filled a niche role for himself in Hollywood. Good for him. Enough said.

I have four brand new books sitting here, me so bad. I finally made it half way through the fifth, yay!

I'm guessing that you are a bit young to like "The Firesign Theater." They modernized radio shows with their own brand of zaniness in the early Seventies, continuing the great tradition of using your own imagination.

I've never caught the books in audio form fever yet I understand they come in very handy for some.
Old 19th March, 2015, 12:49 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saw "Paris, Texas" (1984) last night, wish I hadn't waited so long to see it. Harry Dean Stanton is outstanding, as he most always is. Now he IS a character actor! I thought the film would be much different and was pleasantly surprised by the entire production. Nastassja Kinski showed great acting chops and was gorgeous, Wim Wenders was at his best in the director's chair. I'm sure you've seen it, but if not, highly recommended!
Old 21st March, 2015, 04:25 AM

Yes indeed, I do believe I've recommended "Paris, Texas" in the past, a prime Criterion Collection offering. Harry Dean Stanton is largely overlooked, but he's the ultimate character actor, always pitch perfect. "Paris, Texas" is a magnificent film and as you say, Nastassia does a great job as well.

"The Last Picture Show"(1971) is also a film worth viewing.
Abit Rocket 100
WinXPsp2/Win98SE

Last edited by TrevorS; 21st March, 2015 at 04:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2015, 02:04 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Pretty certain that you recommended "Paris, Texas" in the past too. Thank you, it was a GREAT suggestion!
I'll see if "The Last Picture Show" is available at Netflix. Pretty sure I saw it ages ago, but really good flicks are rare.

"Blood of Heroes" is on tap for tonight, I hope Mr Hauer is at his best in it. I've seen him at his worst (I hope that's his worst in "Hobo with a Shotgun") and it ain't good.)

"The Lovely Bones" (2009) is up for tomorrow night. The cast is great, but Mr Wahlberg seems to be a be a shirt in real life, I avoid him if possible. He's in a LOT of upcoming movies, sigh. Wonder how his racism played with Denzel Washington in "2 Guns?" Mr Washington probably needed the cash. Always something.
Old 24th March, 2015, 02:31 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"The Salute of the Jugger" aka "Blood of Heroes" didn't floateth my boateth. They certainly did a lot with an extremely small budget and Joan Chen and Rutger Hauer put their all into it yet dust and blood hymns become less attractive over time.

Watched one of Robin William's last efforts Sat night, "The Angriest Man in Brooklyn" (2014) I found it better than I thought it would be, also starring Mila Kunis who was extremely adept in her role. A bit of a tear grabber yet also very funny. Recommended.

Saw "The Lovely Bones" (2009) last night, Rachel Weisz did very well, but wasn't at her most beautiful. I guess that extremely beauteous actresses simply are not at their beautiful best depending on their role. It almost doesn't matter, it shouldn't, but I'm greedy for beauty I guess. Mark Wahlberg does very well in it, as does Susan Sarandon. I didn't recognize Stanley Tucci 'cause I've most lately seen him as that complete jackass character in "The Hunger Games" serials. He's damn good and very scary indeed.
Saoirse Ronan steals the movie, imho. She's very young, enough to be simply a little girl. As always she's a great young actor and her eyes arrest my eyes, doubt I'm alone in this.

This won't be everyone's favorite movie. It could lose ten minutes and doesn't score highly at imdb.
Definitely a Kleenex grabber, but I like it a lot.
Old 25th March, 2015, 04:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I saw Robin Williams in "Bicentennial Man" a while back, and thought that was an excellent effort by him. The man's a comedy genius, without a doubt, but much of his serious work is actually quite good IMO.
Old 27th March, 2015, 02:14 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I agree, beyond being a bona fide comedic genius in his own class Robin Williams delivered straight drama and also played the "straight man" very, very well.
We lost a one of a kind brilliant performer, perhaps another person will eventually come along who almost matches or equals his talent, but I doubt it will happen in our lifetimes.

He made four films in 2014, it's said that one of them isn't certain to make it to the screen. I don't know this for absolute certain, but his two former wives were greedily draining his veins through exorbitant alimony demands (both were childless by him). He was also seriously ill, so maybe checking out shouldn't be held against him too much.

Saw "The Equalizer" (2014) last night, highly recommended. Denzel Washington after long playing intelligent "sort of Action Hero" types (afaik) has FINALLY turned into the tough guy I've been wanting to see for years. And such a tough guy! Of course he's impossibly intelligent and beyond a naturally savvy and extremely well trained former higher than Special Ops kinda guy. And not at all James Bondish, YAY! I genuinely like this movie, two thumbs up!
Old 27th March, 2015, 06:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
He made four films in 2014, it's said that one of them isn't certain to make it to the screen. I don't know this for absolute certain, but his two former wives were greedily draining his veins through exorbitant alimony demands (both were childless by him). He was also seriously ill, so maybe checking out shouldn't be held against him too much.
It's a shame things happen that way. I don't challenge that a spouse has a responsibility to provide an equitable settlement on separation, but it shouldn't be a license to extort.

Quote:
Saw "The Equalizer" (2014) last night, highly recommended. Denzel Washington after long playing intelligent "sort of Action Hero" types (afaik) has FINALLY turned into the tough guy I've been wanting to see for years. And such a tough guy! Of course he's impossibly intelligent and beyond a naturally savvy and extremely well trained former higher than Special Ops kinda guy. And not at all James Bondish, YAY! I genuinely like this movie, two thumbs up!
Oh yeah, 'The Equalizer' was DEFINITELY worth seeing, and I would like to see Denzel in more roles like that. What I really enjoyed about that movie was the Denzel's style of acting really contrasts the two sides of the character's personality.
Old 28th March, 2015, 03:32 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm looking forward to "Bicentennial Man."
Wealth has a limit, greed doesn't. Sigh, again.

I'm about one hour into "Mockingjay Part One," the latest of the "Hunger Games" movies. So far it's a Thumbs Down, maybe a Both Thumbs Down. Jennifer Lawrence plays a block of wood, yellow pine with a bad finish on it. If this flick doesn't redeem itself HUGELY and SOON, it'll go on the shirt list, LOUDLY.
Old 28th March, 2015, 06:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Part One is nothing more than a transparent attempt to extract more money from the movie-going public, IMO. From a cinematic standpoint, they'd've been better served to have kept it as one movie.
Old 29th March, 2015, 04:15 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Yes, one epic great movie would have served everyone except the money men much better than one good one, 1 half good one, and one flick much better unattempted. The final one should be good---except for the fact that "Muckingjay 1" was a low budget, nearly monochromatic in its worthlessness with terrible production values piece of stench.

And a painful extraction of movie goers money at that. This third installment is a total waste of effort and will definitely turn movie goers/buyers into very angry people. I dropped the $20.00 item into the trash. I should take it out and stomp on it for good luck. 6.9 from imdb, how big was the bribe? 2.1 is honest.

Put plainly, it sucks. I mean it sucks HARD. I felt like the stooge of the month, I hated all the characters by the end. Not just the characters, the actors themselves. If someone has the misfortune to buy it, give it to someone you sincerely dislike. Don't open the wrapper! You'll do yourself a great favor by simply passing it along.

The upcoming last movie in the series holds no mystery, let me spoil the plot right now. The Rebels win, yay! President Snow dies, about freakin' time! Save the money!! Shame, shame, shame on Jennifer Lawrence and the producers she rode in on. She can really act, but nobody does at all in this misbegotten piece of steaming offal.
Old 1st April, 2015, 01:48 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Guess I really liked that movie. Snort of derision!

Watched "The Name of the Rose" (1986) recently. I had a difficult time sitting through the first hour, I have a personal very well earned and probably eternal (if eternity exists) beef with the Catholic church. Yet Sean Connery kept my interest going and I liked it in the end. It was very refreshing to see Christian Slater before he became his movie self. Recommended--if you can handle the in your face trappings and ludicrousness of things Roman C.

Unfortunately "I am Sam" (2001) made far too much noise for safety in my PC's disc player, so I still haven't seen it.
Old 4th April, 2015, 03:07 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Saw a respectful somewhat cryptic recommendation for the movie on Jesse's Cafe Americain so I decided to check it out.
So I must have pressed the correct virtual button accidentally on Netflix last night, cause they said "we don't have it at all" at first.

"Natural Born Killers (1994) was a shocking to the civilized sensibilities zany film featuring murder after murder after murder by a nutzoid couple of amusing misfit weirdos. Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis in the best role I've seen her in played the loving (in their own way) couple. Yet it really held your attention if you were in a mood for ?revenge or something like it. Two twisted thumbs up.

Followed by "Three Kings" (1999). Not a great movie, yet quite entertaining all the same. Recommended.
Old 12th April, 2015, 01:33 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I can't, or don't want to believe it. Netflix sent me 2 copies in a row that don't work of "Darkman" (1990). Fuhgettaboudit, why bother again? Maybe I'll have a look at "Gone Girl" (2014) tonight.
Old 16th April, 2015, 01:07 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I recently had my apt professionally cleaned and "Gone Girl" was lost in the shuffle. Spring cleaning is great but a lost well anticipated DVD bites.
Old 17th April, 2015, 12:44 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"Daredevil" (2015) is a Netflix tv series that's pretty good. It rates a stratospheric 9.3 at imdb, but I don't know what they were smoking. Mebbe I'd give it a 6.9. Rosario Dawson appears in a few episodes and I'm very happy to say that she lost weight since "'Sin City II,'" and looks stunning again. Whooee she's a beautiful woman, imnsho of course. And does a great job in her part. Kudos!
Old 17th April, 2015, 06:30 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Watched "The Name of the Rose" (1986) recently. I had a difficult time sitting through the first hour, I have a personal very well earned and probably eternal (if eternity exists) beef with the Catholic church. Yet Sean Connery kept my interest going and I liked it in the end. It was very refreshing to see Christian Slater before he became his movie self. Recommended--if you can handle the in your face trappings and ludicrousness of things Roman C.
I've yet to see a movie with Sean Connery that was bad, and as he's gotten older he's definitely (IMO) improved. I haven't seen "The Name of the Rose" but I'll put it on my list, based on your comments.
Old 17th April, 2015, 06:31 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
I can't, or don't want to believe it. Netflix sent me 2 copies in a row that don't work of "Darkman" (1990). Fuhgettaboudit, why bother again? Maybe I'll have a look at "Gone Girl" (2014) tonight.
Darkman was OK, but not a great flick, IMO. Could just be me though.
Old 17th April, 2015, 06:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
"Daredevil" (2015) is a Netflix tv series that's pretty good. It rates a stratospheric 9.3 at imdb, but I don't know what they were smoking. Mebbe I'd give it a 6.9. Rosario Dawson appears in a few episodes and I'm very happy to say that she lost weight since "'Sin City II,'" and looks stunning again. Whooee she's a beautiful woman, imnsho of course. And does a great job in her part. Kudos!
Rosario Dawson is definitely one of the finer examples of feminine pulchritude. Just sayin'.

Daredevil is next on my list. I'm currently working my way through 'Arrow'. Not a great show, but not terrible either.